Oil & Fuel Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
The product data sheets Shell sent me back in 2005 for Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus:

ShellTTF-SB1.jpg

ShellTTF-SB2.jpg

Joel

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #2  
Hmm, judging by the fact that it does not meet JD J20C - D or Cat TO-4 it looks to be a rather low spec UTF oil. It's pour point is also a little high.

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #3  
It doesn't look too impressive does it? A light 40 weight, maybe 1200 ppm zddp?, and petroleum based given the pour point. Unless their "specially designed additive package" is really something special, it seems like common SJ or SL motor oil...

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil
JSharp said:
It doesn't look too impressive does it?

I forget all the oils with online spec sheets that I compared it to in 2005, but it sure doesn't look like anything special. Really, the only thing that would keep me buying it is to patronize my local CC dealers. These sumps hold so much for their size/needs that a $1/qt motor oil would probably hold up for most conditions.

Joel

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #5  
I agree that it's basically motor oil. As I posted in pearlmanz tread,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/98678-changing-hydro-oil-filter.html

directly from the hydrogear service manual.

What's so special in this addive package? Does it make the rear-end gears last longer? Less wear in the hydraulic cylinders? Since motor oil is good enough (recommended) by hydrogear, this addive package has to be for something other than the hydro. That's if the "addive package" is there for anything other than making the CC oil $8.00 - $10.00 a quart.:cool:

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #6  
One of the 5W-40 diesel rated synthetic oils like Rotella or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV looks like it would be a good choice for this application. Especially if you're using the tractor in cold weather. If I was changing the oil instead of just topping up at filter changes I'd be tempted to go this way...

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #7  
If it calls for this type of fluid, that being a UTF type oil I would NOT use engine oil. Engine oil is not going to have any of the friction modifiers needed for wet clutch/brake applications.

There are no wet clutches or internal brakes on a 2K series machine. They use an external disk type brake. I'm pretty sure the same goes for the 3K series machines.

Joel

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #9  
They have no friction disc in the transaxle?

DieselPower said:
They have no friction disc in the transaxle?

That is correct. The 2K series GT's do not.

Joel