Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission!

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #1  

CircleRat

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Ford 3000 w/SOS, 1966 Ford 3000 8-Spd, 1952 Farmall Super M
Hi all - I have a bum left leg which makes using a clutch difficult, so I recently purchased a 1965 Ford 3000 with power steering and SOS tranny. Two things I could really use some expert advice with:

1. The SOS transmission shifts just fine and all the speeds work like they should. But the tranny makes a scary amount of noise. Just sitting at idle it sounds like it's ready to fly apart with all the whining and whizzing. From looking at the shop manual I know there's a lot of moving parts in there such as 3 (actually 4 on the 3000 model) planetary gear systems and a bunch of other stuff. So, is this much noise normal, or should I be worried?

Btw, I did drain some fluid and it looks clean with no metal particles, shavings or chunks.

2. Could the wrong fluid be causing the noise? Do I need New Holland NH134D or will any off-brand that meets or exceeds spec be good?

Appreciate any help!

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #2  
It sounds pretty quiet from here. You will get free advise here from guys that will say this oil or that oil will be perfectly fine. The tractor manufacturer wants you to use only 134 hydraulic oil. Do you want to save $15 bucks or give your tractor the best chance for a long life?
Remember that there are absolutely no industry standards for the phrase "meets or exceeds" and when the bucket says "recommended for" that recommendation comes from the outfit that paid to have the jug printed.
I asked a similar question about putting (the recommended) premium gas in my recently purchased Mini Cooper. The general consensus was that if I couldn't afford or didn't want to pay the extra $3 per fillup I should have bought a Focus. I buy premium gas.

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission!
Money is not the issue, I have no problem paying an extra $15 or even more for the right oil. I was asking because of what's available in my area. So far I haven't been able to find NH134D, but there's some oils available that are supposed to be the equivalent, according to the parts guys at the big feed stores. Not that I trust parts guys.

I guess I'll have to order 5 gallons of NH134D. I have no idea what's in the tractor now, but I will once I change it.

So any advice on the noise? Are SOS trannys inherently noisy critters or should I be concerned? It's pretty darn loud compared to other tractors with regular transmissions, and I've had a few.

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #4  
I use the AMBRA multi g 134 trans oil, it is the only one the New Holland dealer told me meets the specs for sure. 100_7612.jpg

I changed it out and cleaned the screen (although it was fairly clean) and replaced the large trans filter-they both go in the left side of the case.

Mine runs pretty quiet, yours may have a partially plugged screen and or filter, causing the pump to cavitate??

good luck

a working SOS is a great trans for brush hogging , loader work and is definitely my choice when in a hurry versus the manual trans Rhino

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find some AMBRA 134G locally.

I checked the screen and it's clean. I haven't checked the main trans filter because I haven't found a replacement yet. Looks like they're as scarce as hen's teeth. Any tips on where to look? If there's none to be found, can the old filter be cleaned and re-used?

Oh and btw, where the heck are the timing marks on a '65 Ford 3000 with SOS? It's not on the front pulley or timing cover, I know this because I had the pulley off. And I haven't seen an inspection plate near the flywheel... ?

and HOW DO YOU GET TO THE @%$#& SPARK PLUGS?!?! :confused3: :hissyfit:

I agree about the SOS for loader work, I plan on putting a loader on this tractor. It has a front hydraulic dozer blade on it now and the SOS makes it a breeze to operate. And it saves me having to use a clutch with my bad left leg.

Thanks guys for all your help! :drink:

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #6  
As rickb said.

if this was just a crashbox. generic utf would probably be fine.

for that full powershift tranny, that probably doesn't like oil too thick or thin. I'd get the ambra G>

The biggest difference you see in generic utf oils... especially cheap ones.. is the viscosity can be different. especially in cold weather. some utf oils can be like jelly in the cold weather.

Thanks guys, I think I have the fluid issue sorted out now, appreciate it!

Still concerned about the noise though. I haven't found any metal in the fluid I drained, and the screen is clean as a whistle. It shifts through all the gears just fine, though the shift is rather abrupt when not using the feathering pedal.

I guess I'll have to see after I change the fluid and filter. Anyone know where I can find a new trans filter for this thing?

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #8  
filters are NLA, there is a guy named tony jacobs that is working on getting them repoped.. but nothing yet.

if you are in a cold area and the oil is thick, you might be hearing cavitation whines.

sd455dan & Soundguy, you guys know your stuff. Today I ran the tractor and pinpointed the noise, it was coming from the trans filter cover. The cover was also very hot to the touch. So I pulled the cover and some very dirty oil came out along with the filter.

Definitely cavitation in the trans filter. Thank you!

Now the problem is where do I find a new filter? Anyone know where some NOS filters might be? What's the part number?

Can I clean this filter somehow and re-use it? Maybe soak it in gas or solvent and blow it out with compressed air?

/ Need Help with my Select-O-Speed Transmission! #10  
Wow- NLA on the filters, sure wish i had bought a few spares when i changed mine... live and learn.

My 3000 is diesel but i did find this for timing ford 3000- timing gas 001.jpgford 3000 timing mark 001.jpg

hope it helps