Ford 8N starter problems Please help?

/ Ford 8N starter problems Please help? #1  

Davyboy58

Tractor
Yanmar ym122
Hello, new here. i am having fits with an 8N Tractor i just got in a trade. The man brought it to me and showed me how well it started and ran. So, next day i went to start it and i think i flooded it. I then waited a while and when i tried to start it again, the starter just spun. I bought a new starter and solenoid and installed them but it still does the same thing when i try to start it . I checked the ring gear and it looks great. The tractor started so easily several times when the man showed me and everything worked fine. I've been trying to figure it out ever since. Can anyone help me please?

/ Ford 8N starter problems Please help? #2  
Even if the ring gear looks fine try rotating the engine a bit to put a new section in front of the starter - just something to try.

/ Ford 8N starter problems Please help?
Even if the ring gear looks fine try rotating the engine a bit to put a new section in front of the starter - just something to try.

I will try that. Thanks!

/ Ford 8N starter problems Please help? #4  
Is the battery low? needs to spin up starter to engage bendix drive. They get dry and sticky on tractors that sit around but new starter should have fixed that. Are you sure you got the starter installed correctly with drive on the back side of the gear? Not sure if it can be installed wrong but I know they take a little wiggling to get in place.

/ Ford 8N starter problems Please help? #5  
does your local ford dealer have any suggestions?.

Is the battery low? needs to spin up starter to engage bendix drive. They get dry and sticky on tractors that sit around but new starter should have fixed that. Are you sure you got the starter installed correctly with drive on the back side of the gear? Not sure if it can be installed wrong but I know they take a little wiggling to get in place.

The battery is charged and spins the starter fast. I think i have it in right. I have taken it off and re-installed it several times.

does your local ford dealer have any suggestions?.

I haven't asked anyone. I still have some things to check. I haven't been able to do much yet.