How to check ring gear

/ How to check ring gear #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
A few days ago I heard an odd sound from (I assume) the starter (Ford 641) when trying to start the tractor. It was sort of a grinding/scraping sound which startled me so I didn't notice if the engine was actually turning over or not. Tried again and got the same sound. A third time it started normally and did so several times during the day and has not made that sound in the last 5 or 6 days. I removed the starter and I couldn't see anything damaged but I really didn't know what to look for. I removed the over running clutch in hopes of trying to rotate the PTO so the ring gear would rotate so I could inspect the whole gear. I really don't know how to safely turn the PTO at this point. Can anyone give me advice?

/ How to check ring gear #2  
Bar the engine over using a small pry bar or large screwdriver applied through the starter mount hole and against the ring gear. Observe the ring gear as you go. Damage is almost always limited to specific areas of the gear. Other sections of teeth will be as new or close to it. By the time you turn it 360 degrees you will know what you are looking at.

/ How to check ring gear #3  
you can remove the glow plugs to reduce compression if needed

/ How to check ring gear
you can remove the glow plugs to reduce compression if needed

Thanks. guys. That's easier than I thought and a one person job as opposed to turning the PTO.

/ How to check ring gear #6  
When you removed the starter was there oil on the starter bendix? If so there is your problem it needs to be clean and more importantly DRY. Also does it have the old style or new style bendix, the old style tends to kick out and free wheel if the engine hits but does not start where the new style does not. The old style bendix are known to sometimes not engage most especially if they are oily. If you do need to clean it up spray brake cleaner does a good job.

/ How to check ring gear
I rotated the ring gear and found maybe a third of the teeth looked like those in the pic. Would you guys replace ring gear? So far it has started normally since the initial problem.

The bendix is slick but not dripping oil. Depending on performance over the coming weeks I will seriously consider removing starter and cleaning as John suggested.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 80
   / How to check ring gear #9  
I rotated the ring gear and found maybe a third of the teeth looked like those in the pic. Would you guys replace ring gear? So far it has started normally since the initial problem.

The bendix is slick but not dripping oil. Depending on performance over the coming weeks I will seriously consider removing starter and cleaning as John suggested.

Those teeth are not bad enough to split the tractor.

/ How to check ring gear
Whew! That's good news. Would cleaning the Bendix enable it to engage better?