ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I was messing around with Loretta's hydraulic system on her 284 Jinma this week. I took the valves off and decided to make a comparison of the stock ZL-20 FEL valve to her new Ranch Hand Supply aftermarket FEL valve.
I have a couple questions that came up after comparing them.

As advertised, Ronald's valve has superior quality and added features over the stock valve. It is much smoother to operate and feather. It has float, power beyond capability and rapid regen. Anyway, I took some photos of the valves side by each to show some details. They both have adjustable pressure relief valves and the linkage is similar, except Ronald's linkage seems to be of better construction.
Ronald's valve is gray on the left and the ZL-20 is black on the right.

I'm not so sure I understand what rapid regen means exactly, but his valve sure is nice. I'm no hydraulic expert, so I don't know what makes those valves tick, other than the noticeable differences must have something to do with it. Maybe somebody can clarify it? You can see in this first picture that the valves look identical except Ronald's new valve is longer on the bottom and has a center plug in the middle of the 4 ports. I wonder if those physical differences are for rapid regen and float?

Ronald's valve has an alternate plug for power in whereas the ZL does not. (Look above the "P"). The other difference is Ronald's valve has the return to tank on the face where the ZL has an optional return port there, but it is plugged. (Look above the "T"). The ZL uses the left SIDE port for return, whereas Ronald's uses that port for the power beyond.
This is where the comparison gets interesting.

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison
I tilted the valves to look inside those side ports.
On Ronald's valve, I know it is used for power beyond when the sleeve is added. It has several passages or channels in it. One that allow pressurized flow through the inside of the sleeve and another around it for return to tank. The power beyond sleeve has "O" rings to separate the high pressure channel from the low pressure return to tank. But looking inside the ZL valve, it has the same identical internal passages as Ronald's valve. I stuck a scale rule inside each port and felt the return to tank channels on the sides of the ports ... both valves.

So now I'm wondering if the ZL-20 DOES have power beyond capability when the appropriate sleeve is installed? It sure looks like it to me. After all, it does have that alternate port for return to tank on it already. The threads are different than Ronald's valve so that sleeve doesn't fit I tried it. It also looks like the bottom "O" ring needs to be at the very bottom of the PB sleeve. But If I could get the appropriate sleeve, it should work? Anybody know for sure?
Now, with that in mind, how about those other features like float and rapid regen.
Can those be added to this valve then?

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #3  
Nice write-up as usual Rob!
You wrote
I'm not so sure I understand what rapid regen means exactly
and
Maybe somebody can clarify it
Well, KubMech did a excellent writeup on the benefits of regenerative valves, you can read it HERE.

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #5  
3RRL said:
Kenny, thank you for the link explaining regen. That was very informative!:)

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting - it something none of us would look at unless there was a problem with it. I too loked at the link Ken postedand found it very informative.

I am past the stage of opening something up just to see what is inside - I have learned my lessons well. If it is broken or malfunctioning, then it is different matter.

So thanks again for giving us all and insight into what is inside these new valve setups.

Jim

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #6  
Rob, My ZL-20 valve looks different than the one you show. Richard

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #8  
Mine was also different. I changed mine to a Prince valve back before Ronald had this valve on the market. What a pain that was to make a bracket, proper hoses, ect.

The valve her tractor has looks to be of much better quality than mine was.

Chris

/ ZL-20 FEL Valve Comparison #10  
Rob, here are the pictures of the valve on my ZL-20 FEL. Richard

Attachments

• foton 020.jpg
    foton 020.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,470