Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I've been looking for an F350 DRW or a Ram 3500 DRW (1999-2003) for awhile. Lately I've become intrigued by the neat USB-2 compatible OBD2 scanners like the one from AutoEnginuity. Looks like you can learn a lot about a vehicle with one of these scanners and a laptop (mine is a Compaq with Vista, soon to be upgraded to Windows 7).

I figure that I'll probably need one of these scanners after I purchase my pre-owned truck to handle the simpler DIY servicing.

Meanwhile, a thought occurred to me--maybe I need one of these scanners to use as I shop around.

Question: Has anyone used a setup like this while shopping for a used truck? Any problem from the salesman regarding hooking up a scanner before, during and after a test drive? How about doing diagnostic tests like an injector buzz test as part of the test drive? Any problems here?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board #2  
I've been looking for an F350 DRW or a Ram 3500 DRW (1999-2003) for awhile. Lately I've become intrigued by the neat USB-2 compatible OBD2 scanners like the one from AutoEnginuity. Looks like you can learn a lot about a vehicle with one of these scanners and a laptop (mine is a Compaq with Vista, soon to be upgraded to Windows 7).

I figure that I'll probably need one of these scanners after I purchase my pre-owned truck to handle the simpler DIY servicing.

Meanwhile, a thought occurred to me--maybe I need one of these scanners to use as I shop around.

Question: Has anyone used a setup like this while shopping for a used truck? Any problem from the salesman regarding hooking up a scanner before, during and after a test drive? How about doing diagnostic tests like an injector buzz test as part of the test drive? Any problems here?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Problem is a OBD2 SCANNER will not pull the codes for the diesel engine. They will pull codes not associated with the engine but that has been my experience with the one I owned and tried on both my Dmax and my 2 Ford 6.0's. I also had them try to pull codes on the Dmax at Auto Zone and could not do it but the dealer could. Maybe they have different scanners now but it did not work for me.

The other thing is if all codes are cleared or the service engine light is not on there will be nothing to learn.

Chris

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board #3  
QUOTE FROM DIAMONDPILOT:problem is a OBD2 SCANNER will not pull the codes for the diesel engine. They will pull codes not associated with the engine but that has been my experience with the one I owned and tried on both my Dmax and my 2 Ford 6.0's. I also had them try to pull codes on the Dmax at Auto Zone and could not do it but the dealer could. Maybe they have different scanners now but it did not work for me.

The other thing is if all codes are cleared or the service engine light is not on there will be nothing to learn. END QUOTE

thats incorrect, an off the shelf model that you would find at the chain parts stores, may not do a satisfactory job, but a sure enough scanner will do the job, of course i havent hooked mine to every truck out there but on the ones i have used it on, i had no trouble, sometimes you run into what is called a manufacturer specific code and may not have as much info in the database of the scanner but the code is no prob. in a case like that you have to refer to other sources to gain info on code itself. if the prob is a constant problem, doesnt matter if they were cleared 3 seconds ago, the code will come back almost immediately. lots of times you will find one or more codes stored without the CEL on, because it hasnt recurred in x number of drive cycles, but still is reason to be on the lookout for potential probs. with a lot of vehicles, cant speak for all, i havent checked em all, with a good scanner you can see how many miles its been driven since codes were last cleared. another problem i have seen more than a few times is the somebody had either removed the CEL, broken or blown the bulb. when you turn the ign switch on, the CEL or check engine light should illuminate, bulb check, if everything is correct, it will go out when engine starts. if it doesnt lite up with key on engine off, there is a problem. in my opinion, if you are serious about a given vehicle, take it to a competent tech, and have it checked. just because there is a code stored for the "johnson shaft" doesnt always mean you can replace the johnson shaft ad cure the problem. the code just points you in the direction in which the pcm perceives the problem to lie. there is much more to it than just reading the code and replacing a given part in most cases. i could buy a nice 1T truck for what i have spent on scanner and updates in the last several years, there is no comparison to a 69 dollar code reader. having a vehicle checked would be money well spent, sensors, control and electronic components can add up very fast. while you're at it, have em scan the trans control module, body control, and abs system as well.

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board #4  
QUOTE FROM DIAMONDPILOT:problem is a OBD2 SCANNER will not pull the codes for the diesel engine. They will pull codes not associated with the engine but that has been my experience with the one I owned and tried on both my Dmax and my 2 Ford 6.0's. I also had them try to pull codes on the Dmax at Auto Zone and could not do it but the dealer could. Maybe they have different scanners now but it did not work for me.

The other thing is if all codes are cleared or the service engine light is not on there will be nothing to learn. END QUOTE

thats incorrect, an off the shelf model that you would find at the chain parts stores, may not do a satisfactory job, but a sure enough scanner will do the job, of course i havent hooked mine to every truck out there but on the ones i have used it on, i had no trouble, sometimes you run into what is called a manufacturer specific code and may not have as much info in the database of the scanner but the code is no prob. in a case like that you have to refer to other sources to gain info on code itself. if the prob is a constant problem, doesnt matter if they were cleared 3 seconds ago, the code will come back almost immediately. lots of times you will find one or more codes stored without the CEL on, because it hasnt recurred in x number of drive cycles, but still is reason to be on the lookout for potential probs. with a lot of vehicles, cant speak for all, i havent checked em all, with a good scanner you can see how many miles its been driven since codes were last cleared. another problem i have seen more than a few times is the somebody had either removed the CEL, broken or blown the bulb. when you turn the ign switch on, the CEL or check engine light should illuminate, bulb check, if everything is correct, it will go out when engine starts. if it doesnt lite up with key on engine off, there is a problem. in my opinion, if you are serious about a given vehicle, take it to a competent tech, and have it checked. just because there is a code stored for the "johnson shaft" doesnt always mean you can replace the johnson shaft ad cure the problem. the code just points you in the direction in which the pcm perceives the problem to lie. there is much more to it than just reading the code and replacing a given part in most cases. i could buy a nice 1T truck for what i have spent on scanner and updates in the last several years, there is no comparison to a 69 dollar code reader. having a vehicle checked would be money well spent, sensors, control and electronic components can add up very fast. while you're at it, have em scan the trans control module, body control, and abs system as well.

Yea, your experience has been different than mine. I bought my scanner at Napa or Auto Zone back in about 2004 when I was having so many issues with my Dodge 2500 Hemi. It worked great on that and every gasoline powered vehicle I hooked it too but not so on the diesel trucks I have tried it on. Maybe its just my scanner but when I took my Dmax late on Saturday night to Auto Zone with it in LIMP MODE the unit they had would not pull the codes either.

My scanner is just a $89 hand held unit but that is my experience. I still would not be without one. I have used it on my Saturn a few times and its pointed me right to the issues like a Neutral Safety Switch and a O2 Sensor.

Chris

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board
Yea, your experience has been different than mine. I bought my scanner at Napa or Auto Zone back in about 2004 when I was having so many issues with my Dodge 2500 Hemi. It worked great on that and every gasoline powered vehicle I hooked it too but not so on the diesel trucks I have tried it on. Maybe its just my scanner but when I took my Dmax late on Saturday night to Auto Zone with it in LIMP MODE the unit they had would not pull the codes either.

My scanner is just a $89 hand held unit but that is my experience. I still would not be without one. I have used it on my Saturn a few times and its pointed me right to the issues like a Neutral Safety Switch and a O2 Sensor.

Chris

I had this scanner in mind along with the Ford expansion option
Order Online

Not cheap, but not overly expensive either. It's often recommended on the PSD forums.

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board #6  
That is a nice piece. Much better than my generic $89 scanner. It does do 99.9% of everything I have needed but just did not work on diesels.

I would wait and get one after you commit to a truck. I would hate to buy the Ford unit then get a deal on a Cummins. Around here you can usually find someone to run the codes cheap. I have gotten them scanned for free or $20 cash at small shops before I bought mine.

Chris

/ Used 1TPU-test drive with an OBD2 scanner on-board
That is a nice piece. Much better than my generic $89 scanner. It does do 99.9% of everything I have needed but just did not work on diesels.

I would wait and get one after you commit to a truck. I would hate to buy the Ford unit then get a deal on a Cummins. Around here you can usually find someone to run the codes cheap. I have gotten them scanned for free or $20 cash at small shops before I bought mine.

Chris

Good idea.