Heat Pump shopping

/ Heat Pump shopping #21  
Well, I said our Rheem was over 10 years old, and sure enough, the coils sprung a leak. So we're having a complete new Amana system installed today with a 10 year warranty on everything.

/ Heat Pump shopping
Guess you never should have responded to my tread Bird. Looks like it brought bad luck. I assume you know about the tax credit for putting in a high efficiency system. There was some stimulus money that was given to each state in addition to the tax credit that isn't as well known about. Here in Georgia I am receiving $199 in the form of a debit card for putting in a new energy efficient air source heat pump. Take a look at what is being offered in your state. It is a one time thing until the money allocated to the state runs out.

MarkV

/ Heat Pump shopping #23  
Well, I said our Rheem was over 10 years old, and sure enough, the coils sprung a leak. So we're having a complete new Amana system installed today with a 10 year warranty on everything.

Amana is goodman. I've not had any more problems with goodman than with any other brand. Bird, Is that 10 yrs parts & labor or just 10 yrs parts ? 10 yr parts 1 yr labor is standard warranty. It's xtra $$ for 10 yr parts & labor..

Hope it's a R410 system as there is still some R22 equipment for sale

/ Heat Pump shopping #24  
Amana is goodman. I've not had any more problems with goodman than with any other brand. Bird, Is that 10 yrs parts & labor or just 10 yrs parts ? 10 yr parts 1 yr labor is standard warranty. It's xtra $$ for 10 yr parts & labor..

Hope it's a R410 system as there is still some R22 equipment for sale

Well, they got a late start; didn't get here until after 4 p.m. so they're working on it now. And yes, I've heard that Goodman was good, but no personal experience, and everything I've seen so far is labelled "Goodman" instead of Amana. I haven't seen the word Amana on any of the equipment.:laughing:

But yes, there was about $300 extra and this company says everything is covered for 10 years; service available 24 hours a day 365 days a year, never any overtime or extra charge for nights or holidays.

And yep, it's R410A but it's an economy model, just SEER 13, 2.5 ton. They did measure the house and the windows, checked the attic insulation, double pane windows, number of people living here and all that good stuff for a (was it "heat load" calculation?). Of course it's just the two of us (and a chihuahua:)), and only 1,295 sq. ft. to heat and cool.

Their written warranty even says if, within 12 months, I'm not happy with it, they'll take it out, refund my money, and I can go with another company if I want to.

So it's the complete system, even including a new thermostat for a grand total of $5939.98.

/ Heat Pump shopping #25  
So it's the complete system, even including a new thermostat for a grand total of $5939.98.

Good timing, Bird. If it had been the middle of August, you'd be hot, they'd be snowed under with work, and it might have been a lot more expensive. Even if they are a few hours late, it's better than waiting a long time without any AC. I hope everything works out well.:):thumbsup:

/ Heat Pump shopping #26  
They did measure the house and the windows, checked the attic insulation, double pane windows, number of people living here and all that good stuff for a (was it "heat load" calculation?)..

hard to say. Heat load calculation is a little more involved than that. They should have been able to show you the heat gain heat loss, designed temp. for your area , etc,etc,. http://www.heatload.com/unico/heatloadpreform.htm

/ Heat Pump shopping #27  
hard to say. Heat load calculation is a little more involved than that. They should have been able to show you the heat gain heat loss, designed temp. for your area , etc,etc,. HEATLOAD.COM - Heat Load Calculation Form

Yep, it was a lot more involved than what I said. I just didn't go into details, partly because I ain't gonna claim to remember all of it.:laughing:

/ Heat Pump shopping #28  
Good timing, Bird.

Jim, there is no such thing as good timing when you're talking about me spending that much money. But you are right that it could have been a lot worse timing.:laughing: