Will electric fences keep coyotes out?

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
When we built our house there was a series of feral cats and a lot of rabbits. Cats and rabbits have fed coyotes and the only wildlife we see besides birds and squirrels are coyotes. Our cat, who was a great hunter is now a house cat since he spent 2 nights treed--the wife said he's the best cat we have ever had and she doesn't want him to be coyote food.

If we had a fenced yard, I'd get a golden retriever and if we could keep the coyotes out and the cat in, we'd let the cat out. Between the 2 of them they might make an impact on the mole population which has gone crazy.

I don't want to spend a fortune on 800 feet of fence. Would electric work? Or would I need something else?

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #2  
As smart and resourceful as a coyote is, the type of fence you would probably have to build and maintain wouldn't be worth it.

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #4  
I don't think there is a fence that will keep them out! You might consider a LGD instead of a golden, Get a puppy and raise it with your other animals teach it where your boundries are and the coyotes will leave your place along! Thats what solved our same problem as you have. Where you live you can pick up a good pup for free or no more than $300. just watch the Captial press on line! :thumbsup:

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #6  
I know that electric fence controls my dog. She won't go within 20 feet of it anymore. I installed it to keep the deer out of the U of S sour cherries and the saskatoon trees that I planted.
It is not a physical barrier to the deer, but I baited the fence with peanut butter and molasses. 10,000 volts across the lips or a wet nose sure provides a psychological barrier.
So far this winter no deer inside the fenced area. I can see tracks leading up to it but they don't cross anymore. In the beginning we had some does who were bringing their offspring in but they got lead poisoning during hunting season.
If coyotes like peanut butter as much as dogs do electric fencin MAY work.
Good lluck

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #7  
If you can build a fence to keep a cat IN, it should be good enough to keep a coyote OUT!

I agree. Give up on the cat! No matter how good your fence, it will be near impossible to keep the cat from wandering. I suspect you or your wife would not be happy with a dead cat outside of your expensive electric fence. Keeping the cat inside will give you more time and money to spend on other things.

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #8  
When we built our house there was a series of feral cats and a lot of rabbits. Cats and rabbits have fed coyotes and the only wildlife we see besides birds and squirrels are coyotes. Our cat, who was a great hunter is now a house cat since he spent 2 nights treed--the wife said he's the best cat we have ever had and she doesn't want him to be coyote food.

If we had a fenced yard, I'd get a golden retriever and if we could keep the coyotes out and the cat in, we'd let the cat out. Between the 2 of them they might make an impact on the mole population which has gone crazy.

I don't want to spend a fortune on 800 feet of fence. Would electric work? Or would I need something else?

I don't know what part of Oregon you are in. My Uncle lived in Christmas Valley for a few years. Growing Hogs and Alfalfa. Coyotes in that area eat everything, jackrabbits, dogs, cats and hogs. Dogs not allowed out after dusk.
Fences don't mean much to a coyote, not even electric ones.
Coyotes in this area (Douglas County) eat deer and turkeys mainly. They do take sheep and calves.

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #9  
In my experience, an electric fence by itself will not keep predators out. And as much as I love my golden retrievers, they are sadly and at times dangerously outclassed by coyotes. IMO using a golden as a guard dog is a good way to lose a loving companion. If you want a guard animal, get an alpaca. They'll kick the tar out of coyotes, stray dogs, trespassers and pretty much anything that crosses onto their turf.

I use electric fencing as one of several deterrents, especially during lambing season. Another is my trusty Tikka T3 7mm-08 when I'm reclined on top of the hen house reading a book. I generally get one or two each year before the pack figures out the connection between my property and sudden death. And it's always the young, dumb coyotes that get picked off; the elders are too smart for that trick.

And lastly I hike the woods a lot, spreading my scent around so they sense danger long before they can see the lambs, rabbits and chickens. After the first shot of the year they seem to figure out it's not worth it and go over the hill to the hippy farm where they believe all creatures should live in peace.

/ Will electric fences keep coyotes out? #10  
If a snake can get in, so can a coyote. I have seen them slip under our fence...it hardly even slows them down.