Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ?

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #1  

botayota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240Hst
I have a 600 foot hard-pack/gravel driveway that I need to start maintaining. I need to reshape the driveway, loosen up the material. Clean up the edges, pulling in hard-pack/gravel that is off the driveway, and then possibly add new gravel/hard-pack material. If I have to buy just one of these attachments to maintain my driveway which would you recommend and why? A landscape rake or a box blade
Cheers,
Clint

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #2  
A box blade. A box blade can do all of the things mentioned, namely reshape the ground where needed (cut and fill) and manage new material. The rake can't do either of those. It's a great tool but different application than you listed.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #3  
Agree with JD that the box blade would be the better choice. The landscape rake is great for shaping looser material but when you say hard packed the rake will do little to help that. Also when you look at box blades remember weight is your friend.

MarkV

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #4  
What they said, our landscape rake hasn't been used in years, both my brothers and I rely on box blades. I am sure they are handy for some things.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #5  
I agree with everybody else. Definitely get the box blade first. I would also recommend a hydraulic top link if you can swing it. They run about $250 or so. You tractor will have to have a hydraulic remote.

The hydraulic top link is not a "must have" item but it sure makes life easier.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #6  
I agree with everybody else. Definitely get the box blade first. I would also recommend a hydraulic top link if you can swing it. They run about $250 or so. You tractor will have to have a hydraulic remote.

The hydraulic top link is not a "must have" item but it sure makes life easier.

I bought one a couple of years ago and wish I had done it sooner, one of the best thing I ever did.:thumbsup:

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #7  
+1 on the box blade. It's what I use for that job at my place.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #8  
OK, I'll be the lone rake advocate. I have a 600' gravel driveway which I maintain with my Landpride rake with gauge wheels and flip-down blade. Works pretty good, but I do make many passes. Not saying it's better than a box blade, it's what I got.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #9  
OK, I'll be the lone rake advocate. I have a 600' gravel driveway which I maintain with my Landpride rake with gauge wheels and flip-down blade. Works pretty good, but I do make many passes. Not saying it's better than a box blade, it's what I got.

I'll throw another fly in the ointment and suggest you not ignore a good rear blade. Find a good, used, heavy-duty one with angle hydraulics and you might find it as useful, if not more than a box blade. It's wider, more versatile, usually cheaper and covers more ground.

/ Landscape rake or box blade .. if I had to buy just one attachment ? #10  
I have a 600 foot hard-pack/gravel driveway that I need to start maintaining. I need to reshape the driveway, loosen up the material. Clean up the edges, pulling in hard-pack/gravel that is off the driveway, and then possibly add new gravel/hard-pack material. If I have to buy just one of these attachments to maintain my driveway which would you recommend and why? A landscape rake or a box blade
Cheers,
Clint

IMO...To use either of these attachments efficiently no less than a hydraulic top-link is paramount...a tilt cylinder would add even more effectiveness... having both greatly reduces the steepness of the learning curve of either a BB or a LR...

IMO...If you have never used either one of the cited attachments... you will find the box-blade takes a some time to learn to use effectively (and get the desired results)...The landscape rake (with at least a HTL) will make you look like an old pro practically the first time you use one...

If I could only have one attachment (non-PTO powered) it would be hands down a box blade....However, considering everything you have said...I would recommend the landscape rake (as wide as possible)...my reasoning (considering your needs) I would suggest renting or borrowing a box blade to do the initial rework phase...Then you will have the rake to use whenever the drive needs some cosmetic dressing or gravel re-distribution...which is much more frequent than re-works...

Don't underestimate what all you can do with a good quality rake (especially with T&T)... besides just the smoothing out effect a rake gives you...it can also be used for many tasks that most experienced users would use their BB for...but with a much less "final product" appearance...

If you have the time to do a lot of shopping you can most likely find both a used BB and LR of viable quality for less than a single brand new one (brand names)...

Good Luck...