Linux sighted rifle

/ Linux sighted rifle #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Yep. That is what I said, Linux Rifle/Scope. It is a rifle with a Linux powered scope. The scope is not just an optical scope. It has all sorts of sensors to feed its brain, including target tracking, ranging, wind speed, humidity, and video recording are just a few. It will have to bring down a lot of game to make it anywhere near cost effective. The first shot will cost about $17K.
Read about it at:

$17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world | Ars Technica

Now why didn't I think of that:confused:

I WANT one:eek:ath::bullseye:

From right here in Austin, too. Maybe I can get a manufacturing blemish for half price:cool2:

/ Linux sighted rifle #2  
Goes well with this: :)

Self-guided bullet prototype can hit target a mile away

Bruce

bullet2.jpg

/ Linux sighted rifle #3  
Price and weight better drop quite a bit if they really want to make money. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Linux sighted rifle #4  
Wow - kind of scary what you can do with technology.

/ Linux sighted rifle #5  
I don't know, seems the sport is going out of hunting. Might as well sit on your couch and operate a remote controlled rifle over the internet. Fun to check out the technology, but wouldn't be for me, for hunting.

/ Linux sighted rifle #6  
I don't know, seems the sport is going out of hunting. Might as well sit on your couch and operate a remote controlled rifle over the internet. Fun to check out the technology, but wouldn't be for me, for hunting.

Agreed. I go out with the intent of one shot. Heck, even plinking I don't do more then xx at a time. :)

/ Linux sighted rifle #7  
I seriously doubt that both of the previous products shown, will have much success in the Civilian market. But definitely useful for the Military. They are probably being tested on a limited basis already in branches of the Armed Forces.

/ Linux sighted rifle #8  
I seriously doubt that both of the previous products shown, will have much success in the Civilian market. But definitely useful for the Military. They are probably being tested on a limited basis already in branches of the Armed Forces.

I think the professional hunters will be all over this in the near future, the price point will have to come down to under 8K for the "average" hunter to jump onboard, but once under 5K they will be sold in large quantities. The ability to hit a deer beyond 300 yards without having to posess the skill to determine windage and elevation in one's own mind will be the selling point. I see it being a big hit with civillian hunters, especially those will deep pockets and little patience with practicing the necessary skills.

/ Linux sighted rifle
Is it just me? The many, many folks with the deepest pockets also seem to possess little patience to understand all the details and/or willingness to practice the skills necessary to do something. They just "want it done, now!" Even to the point of paying amazing fees to take the easy path.

/ Linux sighted rifle #10  
Is it just me? The many, many folks with the deepest pockets also seem to possess little patience to understand all the details and/or willingness to practice the skills necessary to do something. They just "want it done, now!" Even to the point of paying amazing fees to take the easy path.

Sort of like the word - "work". Some will, some will not. :)