Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,672  
All roughed in, now to smooth it and start a garden!:thumbsup: A little windy today, but otherwise a beautiful day out.

0227131612_zps2b731f1a.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,673  
As your picture shows, you are gonna tear up lots more dirt with a skid steer. The wide bucket would have been much more work if the surface soil had been dry and hard. My neighbor had 24" dia tree that I took down with my tractor in just 15 minutes work. Around the base of the tree, there were several big rocks. I popped the rocks out and cut some roots under the ball. Then I pushed about 8' up on the trunk and rocked it back and forth a bit. That big tree just slowly came over until its top was touching the ground. At that point, all I had to do was put my bucket under the root ball and curl. The root ball popped out and I pushed the tree to a location where my neighbor's son could cut it up with a chainsaw. The toothbar sure came in handy on the rocks and roots. Having a toothbar and plenty of breakout curl power on the bucket is very handy. Still, a wide bucket digs a lot more dirt than a 24" wide bucket on a TLB or excavator.

BTW: I've never used those Kubota skid steers, but both you and RDrancher have had very good luck with them.

All roughed in, now to smooth it and start a garden!:thumbsup: A little windy today, but otherwise a beautiful day out.

0227131612_zps2b731f1a.jpg

#1,674  
Jim,
Your right on the "damage" that can be done with the big bucket, they didn't have the smaller 3 toothed grubber, which would have been perfect!

If this was anything other than a garden spot that is going to be tilled, it may have been a major problem, but I wasn't even worried about "surface destruction" in this case:laughing: I wanted to remove as much root as possible so I wouldn't have to constantly deal with sink holes later. Theoretically I should have been able to dig under one side and push'm over.. BTW the skidsteer far outweighed the Excavator in pounds and hp, huge difference.

#1,675  
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,676  
I haven't been out in a boat on Texoma since one trip in 1978 when I didn't catch a thing. But when I was in high school some buddies & I used to go up there, camp overnight on the islands and run a trotline for catfish. And the last time I did that was when I took my younger brothers up there to do that in 1962. We always put the boat in at Loe's Highport.

#1,677  
Islands are still there Bird! Don't know if they still allow camping, but during summer holidays, they are covered with people drinking, playing volley ball and..er going topless:shocked:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,678  
Mini Track Loaders cost about twice what a mini excavator costs to rent. A big, big mess it makes. My 12 inch bucket makes about 75% less mess than my 24 inch bucket. What Dennis did could have been done with any dozer!
While Dennis was making a big mess, I was out making $91.66 an hour. I had to remove the thumb and the 24 inch bucket to use my 12 inch bucket. Nice, precise, and surgical.:D Dennis would have been up the creek if his stumps were next to a building like mine were Saturday. All the while I was digging next to the building, I was dreaming of my own 8 metric ton excavator with boom swing.:cool:
hugs, Brandi
3-1-13 Truck, Trailer, Tractor & Grapple.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,680  
My family and my Dad's younger brother's family used to meet on Lake Texoma. We came home with a 39 pound catfish!
hugs, Brandi