Gravel Road Dust Control

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Well, summer is coming and with that comes dry weather and dusty gravel roads. I'd like to spread Calcium Chloride on our subdivision road and am looking for some advice.

I have a JD4100 and access to a borrowed cone spreader. I've reads that calcium chloride can be spread as either a 35% more or less solution or as a solid. I'm thinking the cone spreader would be best as it eliminates having to mix and spray. I don't have a suitable sprayer anyway, but would be willing to purchase if it's the best way.

Is calcium chloride available at local supply stores, or is it obtained somewhere else?

Is there something better?

Thanks in advance.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #2  
Spraying is the best method. Any way you get it on there, you're going to want to wet it. You can order bags of flakes from Home Depot and Lowes, or powder from meltsnow.com.

There are some pretty good alternatives out there. Check out one of them here Control Dust on Unpaved Roads with Dust Fyghter LN100 Solution | MIDWEST. There's another product out of California, but the name escapes me at the moment.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #3  
Here's a product we use on construction sites. It's specifically designed for dust control. The Gorilla Snot (yes that's it's name) is the most economic.

General

/ Gravel Road Dust Control
Both if those products look interesting, but probably more expensive, at least short term, than good old calcium chloride. I was considering purchase of a sprayer I could mount on my three point and run off my tractors battery. I'd be able to use that for weed spraying, but I don't think they would work for spraying calcium chloride. Maybe it would, but at least could use it to wet the road after applying the calcium chloride.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #5  
We used calcium chloride in the mining operations on roads that were prepped for it. It was applied on a damp surface by spraying.Our supplier never gave us the option of a dry application.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #6  
On the road with the Beet Generation | The Daily Reporter - WI Construction News & Bids
Beet juice compounds have miraculous road deicing properties, but did you know it is also a proven dust control agent for gravel roads?
This revelation comes not from a future, post apocalyptic snake oil salesman wandering the radioactive dust bowls of the Great Plains in search of mutated rubes, but from actual science in your living present.
The main manufacturer of a sugar beet molasses compound, called Molex, is Savannah Foods of Fremont, Ohio.
Molex is made from beet molasses, a useful green product. Molasses is sticky so it will absorb dust particles and soak up water. Since beets are a food source, Molex is safe for plants and animals to consume right off of the road. Molex also attaches to and holds water, has a high level of potassium chloride (which can replace calcium chloride), has a near neutral pH level (so it shouldn’t be corrosive), and doesn’t freeze, even at minus-16 degree Fahrenheit.
Molex is normally available at half the price of a common dust control compound, calcium chloride.
Lake County, Ill., (among others across the U.S.) is in the process of experimenting with a solution of beet juice and calcium chloride for deicing roads over the last four years with much success. The price of beet juice has been dropping, so not only is the county saving money, but it is diminishing the impact calcium chloride has on the environment.
For more information on Molex, the result of the road tests, or the application rates used, call Milan Levett at (219) 936-2181.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #7  
There's a product called (don't laugh) "Rhino Snot" that is supposed to be good. I have no experience with it, but it acts as a binder and keeps it dust free and actually stabilizes the dirt/sand.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #8  
Here's a product we use on construction sites. It's specifically designed for dust control. The Gorilla Snot (yes that's it's name) is the most economic.

General

Ahh yes, Gorilla Snot out of Arizona. That's the one I was thinking of.

/ Gravel Road Dust Control #9  
Calcium chloride is good for this, but through a cone spreader it will go everywhere. Be sure to oil everything down first. Wash everything after and re-oil. Liquid application doesn't require a pump other than in mixing it good, it helps. A canoe paddle, a small tank and a six pack is all you need. Use a plastic valve, a pics of schedule 40 mounted horizontally with a bunch of holes in it. Let it drizzle out by gravity. Better to make several light passes rather than one heavy one.