Z-Trac Blades Disengage

/ Z-Trac Blades Disengage #1  

MooreSites

Tractor
John Deere Z830A
Hey, everyone, I sure hope someone has the solution to this. I have a Z-Track 830A with absolutely zero issues up to this point. However, I started mowing today and my blades would engage briefly (half second), then shut down. The status light with the wrench icon around my hour meter blinked 3 times. I repeated the process and got the same result. I checked my belts and all seems to be in order.

Now, last summer, I had some issues with my PTO engage switch (yellow pull) "playing out" after a long mowing session - especially when on rough terrain.

I'm wondering if replacing that PTO switch would be my solution? I'm going to attempt that tomorrow, unless I hear differently. Thanks for any help!

/ Z-Trac Blades Disengage #2  
Check the wire running to the PTO and make sure it is making good contact at the PTO, then if that doesn't do it, I'd swap out that switch like you were going to do.

/ Z-Trac Blades Disengage
Check the wire running to the PTO and make sure it is making good contact at the PTO, then if that doesn't do it, I'd swap out that switch like you were going to do.

Thanks for the info! Actually, since it's a $16 part and I had trouble with it giving way last summer, I think I'll replace it. Will try to post here for my findings. Thanks again!

That was it! New PTO switch and all was well. Now for a new question . . . I now accidentally jumped off the mower with backward connections like an idiot. My hours screen is dead, so that's a fuse, right? Can't find it if so!

Once again, you saved the day. I was looking in the total wrong direction. FYI, for future readers, my fuse was located at the terminal end of a cord on the left side of engine. Very easy to get to after popping cap off. Thanks again, RG1.

/ Z-Trac Blades Disengage #8  
Happy to help.:) Glad you found it alright and have it fixed.

Hey, I'm not sure you're still in the monitoring mode for this thread, but I thought I'd check (since you rocked the last answers so well!). That las problem reared it's head throughout the summer with the jump start issue . . . the starter would turn over, but only in clicks (with each turn of the key, I'd get a turnover- eventually resulting in the engine starting). I can never hold and keep a constant starting rotation until iginition. So, I'm thinking it's the starter mechanism . . . I found part TCA15075 and saw the following on Amazon that people reviewed favorably . . . should I stick with the JD part though . . .and, do you think this is the problem? Thanks - Happy New Year, every one!

Amazon.com : Stens 430-128 Starter Switch Replaces John Deere TCA15075 Great Dane TCA15075 John Deere AM101561 Great Dane AM101561 : Lawn Mower Key Switches : Patio, Lawn & Garden

/ Z-Trac Blades Disengage #10  
Hey, I'm not sure you're still in the monitoring mode for this thread, but I thought I'd check (since you rocked the last answers so well!). That las problem reared it's head throughout the summer with the jump start issue . . . the starter would turn over, but only in clicks (with each turn of the key, I'd get a turnover- eventually resulting in the engine starting). I can never hold and keep a constant starting rotation until iginition. So, I'm thinking it's the starter mechanism . . . I found part TCA15075 and saw the following on Amazon that people reviewed favorably . . . should I stick with the JD part though . . .and, do you think this is the problem? Thanks - Happy New Year, every one!

Amazon.com : Stens 430-128 Starter Switch Replaces John Deere TCA15075 Great Dane TCA15075 John Deere AM101561 Great Dane AM101561 : Lawn Mower Key Switches : Patio, Lawn & Garden

That sounds like a bad battery. Even new ones can be faulty if they are not charged properly at first. I'd take it in to a dealer or O'Reilly's etc and have it checked. I went through that about a year ago on one of my JD's. Even though I knew it seemed like the battery, I was still thinking it might be something else because the battery wasn't that old. replaced it and no more problem.

If the battery checks out, checking the starter solenoid and then the starter itself would be my next steps in that order. Check them for good and clean connections. Check the battery end of the cables and make sure they are clean inside the connectors regardless of how clean they may look on the outside. You could have just enough corrosion inside them to keep your battery from being charged while running.