TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,121  
First sunny day we've had after a week of snow, then rain. I had 3 old Lombardy poplars in my yard that were just about dead so it was time to take them out. Looped a chain around them about 12 -14 feet off the ground, hooked the Kubota to the chain and over they went. Took care of the problem of having a stump in the lawn - now all I have to do is fill in the hole from the root ball.
This one was ~ 60 feet tall so I lifted one end up enough to get the saw under it and cut it into a couple sections before lifting it over the fence and hauling it to the wood pile.
P1110767r.jpg

The root ball I hauled over to the brush pile.
P1110769r.jpg

Hooked the old John Deere to the trailer and loaded all the branches I was trimming off to haul to the brush pile.
P1110771r.jpg

View from the Kubota seat. Sure was nice to have the loader to lift the logs up for easy trimming and cutting.
P1110773r.jpg

Should have enough wood out of these to keep me warm for a week or so next winter!
P1110776r.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,123  
What beautiful scenery that is. Bet you could see a storm coming for 50 miles.

How does the root ball come out so clean like that just by pulling the tree over and does the desert do that?
What kind of trees are those evergreens to live in such a dry climate? They look like spruces.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,124  
How much land do you have? How far are you from that Mountain?

68 acres. If you are talking about the hills in the bottom photo, those are just foothills about 1,500 feet in height above my location and from this angle you cannot see the mountains rising up to 10,000 feet behind the foothills. My property runs to the base of the foothills, less than half a mile. Here's a shot of my place from across the valley. My little ranch is just visible at the lower right hand corner, the foothills are the lowest of the hills you can see in the shot and the mountains rise up behind them.
IMG_5079r.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,125  
What beautiful scenery that is. Bet you could see a storm coming for 50 miles.

How does the root ball come out so clean like that just by pulling the tree over and does the desert do that?
What kind of trees are those evergreens to live in such a dry climate? They look like spruces.

I wish the root ball came out so clean! Ripping out the root ball that way left a huge hole in the lawn that I was going to have to fill in - but there must have been 500 pounds of dirt caught in the roots so I spent a couple hours with a crowbar and shovel loosening the dirt from the roots and shoveling it back into the hole. Then I used a water hose to wash away the rest of the dirt from between the roots. I'll still need to bring in a bucketful of dirt to fill in the rest of the hole.

The trees are Mountain Juniper, a type of cedar, and native to Nevada. Very drought tolerant - but also very slow growing. I have one I planted as a one-foot tall seedling 16 years ago and now it is about 8' tall. Juniper is what I use for firewood - love the smell of both the wood and the smoke. Mountain juniper is considered a problem in many areas in Nevada because it crowds out other vegetation. Consequently, the Forest Service pays contractors to remove the trees from the range where it is deemed necessary.

And yes, I can see a storm coming for 50 miles. This is the view to the west from my porch, taken at dawn a few days ago. The mountain to the left is Blue Mountain, about 25 miles distant as the crow flies. The snow-capped range on the horizon to the right is the Jackson Mountains and they are ~ 50 air miles away. When a storm is moving in, first the Jacksons disappear and then so does Blue Mountain.
P1110692r.jpg

But 50 miles is not a very long view in Nevada terms. From the top of any of the peaks the view is much further...there is a Sierra Club informational kiosk on a peak not far from me that I climb occasionally and it tells me that one of the peaks I can see from there is ~ 225 air miles away, near the Utah border.

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,126  
I wish the root ball came out so clean! Ripping out the root ball that way left a huge hole in the lawn that I was going to have to fill in - but there must have been 500 pounds of dirt caught in the roots so I spent a couple hours with a crowbar and shovel loosening the dirt from the roots and shoveling it back into the hole. Then I used a water hose to wash away the rest of the dirt from between the roots. I'll still need to bring in a bucketful of dirt to fill in the rest of the hole.

The trees are Mountain Juniper, a type of cedar, and native to Nevada. Very drought tolerant - but also very slow growing. I have one I planted as a one-foot tall seedling 16 years ago and now it is about 8' tall. Juniper is what I use for firewood - love the smell of both the wood and the smoke. Mountain juniper is considered a problem in many areas in Nevada because it crowds out other vegetation. Consequently, the Forest Service pays contractors to remove the trees from the range where it is deemed necessary.

And yes, I can see a storm coming for 50 miles. This is the view to the west from my porch, taken at dawn a few days ago. The mountain to the left is Blue Mountain, about 25 miles distant as the crow flies. The snow-capped range on the horizon to the right is the Jackson Mountains and they are ~ 50 air miles away. When a storm is moving in, first the Jacksons disappear and then so does Blue Mountain.
View attachment 545432

But 50 miles is not a very long view in Nevada terms. From the top of any of the peaks the view is much further...there is a Sierra Club informational kiosk on a peak not far from me that I climb occasionally and it tells me that one of the peaks I can see from there is ~ 225 air miles away, near the Utah border.

Nice view!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,128  
There is some beautiful open country out west for sure. It is easy to understand why westerners visiting here often ask why we don't get claustrophobia in all these woods.

gg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,129  
Talk about peaceful easy feeling...great pics. :thumbsup:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,130  
There is some beautiful open country out west for sure. It is easy to understand why westerners visiting here often ask why we don't get claustrophobia in all these woods.

gg

I like my hills and woods. They can keep their flat land.