Furnace power vent electric motor oil?

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
My furnace has a power vent exhaust that has a fractional horsepower motor on the outside, north side of the house. (Subject to -20F on start, but quickly warms with furnace exhaust). The manufacturer has some pretty specific oil requirements, and dire warnings if you don’t buy their brand. They spec a SWG Superlube 46226200.

Is this something special or is there a readily equivalent instead of waiting a week or two for it to arrive.

I have the exhauster apart right now. IMG_5792.JPG
IMG_5793.JPG

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #2  
never seen a power vented furnace that has a motor set up like this one. Most are set up inside to exhaust outside.
Never seen one mounted on an outside wall that exhaust fumes out of the home.

I would go by an electric motor place and ask them what oil should be used.
Most modern residential motors that I have used require no oiling

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #3  
I looks like it may be to the end of its useful life. Prevent break down maintenance and replace it now. Like was said these blowers are normally installed inside close to the furnace. Any new unit would now have sealed bearing eliminating that maintenance. Surprised you have allowed i to get that corroded and rusty. Rust breads more rust.

Ron

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #4  
Old and still working, just requiring a bit of maintenance, why replace it. Much of the older equipment that needed routine maintenance will outlast most of the newer stuff.

*Works in conditions of -40Degree to 300Degree (F)
*Synthetic lubricant which maintains specified viscosity

I wouldn't be afraid to use a bit of 10w-50 synthetic oil

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil?
The pictures show it with it’s cover off.
I think I’ve used general purpose, or a motor oil before. I think this is the original motor, but I may have replaced it when i replaced the (hamster wheel) fan it’s connected to a decade or two ago.
These draw the air out, do the indoor ones push? If there was ever a leak in the pipe to the furnace I like this system.
When thermostat calls for heat this fan turns on, then a pressure/vacuum switch in the exhaust pipe has to be satisfied, then the furnace can fire up.

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #6  
At 20 below operating temp,, I would only use 0W-20 synthetic Mobil 1 car engine oil.

Change the oil in your car, the "empty" jug will have enough left in it to lube that motor for the rest of your life,,, :thumbsup:

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #7  
Having the power vent fan at the end of the vent like this means the entire vent is running under negative pressure and can't leak fumes into the house.

Mobil 1 is a good choice for electric motor oil, and as far as I know it's recommended by motor manufacturers Just because that motor is rusty on the outside, doesn't mean it's worn out

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #8  
If the hole in the motor casing just above the big specs label is where the 6 drops only of the special sauce is supposed to go, and the old style flip up the spring loaded dust cove is missing, the type of oil used isn't going to make any difference one way or another, because water has been going in there since before forever... just saying...:confused3:

/ Furnace power vent electric motor oil? #10  
The pictures show it with it’s cover off.
I think I’ve used general purpose, or a motor oil before. I think this is the original motor, but I may have replaced it when i replaced the (hamster wheel) fan it’s connected to a decade or two ago.
These draw the air out, do the indoor ones push? If there was ever a leak in the pipe to the furnace I like this system.
When thermostat calls for heat this fan turns on, then a pressure/vacuum switch in the exhaust pipe has to be satisfied, then the furnace can fire up.

yes The new 90% furnaces vent with pvc. the exhaust motor comes in the furnace.

I use to install fans like you have on 80% furnaces and use metal pipe with the joints sealed.
On these systems, the fan draws the combustion products to the outside the home, But I have always mounted these fans on the interior wall. Never outside

The newer 90% furnaces that push the flue gasses to the outside through PVC and are under a positive pressure