Removal of Asbestos siding

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #1  

Atchuuu

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HSTC
I have a property with a 1,300 square foot home on it. Home was built in the late 50's and has asbestos siding. I would like to remove the siding, replace the windows and install hardi plank.

Our area allows the homeowner to remove the asbestos and the local dump will accept it.

Wondering if the removal of the siding is as big a deal as it is made out to be. I will wear the appropriate mask but do I need to suit up and water down the siding?

My thinking is I can just use a nail puller and remove most of the siding without damaging it. Thoughts?

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #2  
I’d leave it alone.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #3  
I would keep a water hose handy if you start to see any dust you can wet it down.
Asbestos siding in a solid form not being broken up and releasing fine fibers is quite safe.
The small fibers are the dangerous aspect of asbestos. A good well fitted dust mask and lots of plastic to wrap up the remove siding.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #4  
It's no more dangerous than the hardi your getting ready to put up.
It contains the asbestos but it will not become airborne (just like fiber cement siding) until you put a saw into it. Little to no dust is created by simply breaking it or driving/pulling a nail.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #5  
Asbestos is like working in a contaminated area in a nuke plant.
Full face respirator period.
Tyvek suit, gloves, all entry points taped shut neck, arms and legs.
Not for the average guy.

I'm living on God's grace.

I did not even wear a dust mask and did not know our house had exterior lead paint and asbestos tiles.
Yep removed both totally unprotected, 15 years ago.

Now, I cringe when I read posts like these and folks trying to get by on the cheap. Hey I get it pro help is pricey I do get it.
But risking one's life without a full understanding of protection protocols is a needless risk.
Please read up more on what it take to protect yourself first.
The statement of 'wear a dust mask' makes me cringe.

Regards...

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #6  
Yep, do it right and protect yourself from the dust on what you take down and put up. Now, you can use more friendly methods than sawing when it comes to Hardi. By me, I can't take freaking drywall to the dump with a rolled texture on it w/o having a lab test it. Really.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #7  
Yep... same here... few and only expensive choices.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #8  
Have you gotten it tested to be sure it's asbestos? I'd do that before doing anything.

Strike that. First I'd find out what the legal requirements are where you live. You may find that if you know it's asbestos you're obligated to do things you wouldn't be if you didn't know.

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #9  
When I was in industry, and later with the Health Department, part of my responsibilities were enforcing the asbestos regulations. I strongly suggest you contact your local Department of Environmental Quality for the regulations and more importantly, the recommended removal procedures. Although siding is not like fibrous asbestos, aged siding will deteriorate and release fibers, as will the removal procedure. Wetting is mandatory, as is breathing apparatus...face mask is not adequate. I read in some of the literature that pathology studies indicate that very few fibers can cause cancerous tumors. It's not always the case, of course, but why take the chance. FWIW, asbestos is the only known cause of Mesothelioma.

I believe the siding will require special handling and disposal. Don't get caught having to pay to reclaim contaminated ground and recover improperly disposed material. You would be amazed how much that can cost. Not only did we assess penalties on violators, we had the authority to order them to clean it up, and we always did. Do it right.

Here's a guidance document; it looks legit, but I can't vouch for it, but it will give you an idea. You should still contact your DEQ for the rules and their guidance.

How to Remove and Dispose of Asbestos Siding and Roofing | Today's Homeowner

/ Removal of Asbestos siding #10  
Yep, do it right and protect yourself from the dust on what you take down and put up. Now, you can use more friendly methods than sawing when it comes to Hardi. By me, I can't take freaking drywall to the dump with a rolled texture on it w/o having a lab test it. Really.

I bought a Hardi shear. It didn’t come cheap but it makes the process go way easier and dust free. It’s also a lot quieter than a saw if that matters. I spent nearly $500 on the shear and a roofing nailer, but I figured that was about the cost of having that small job professionally done and I’ll use those tools again.