Cell phone ALERT

/ Cell phone ALERT #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Yesterday I was out driving the Taco Wagon on a dusty back road. I was about half way between my home and Coeur 'd Alene Lake. The new iPhone came alive with a loud ringing and a strange message. It said - " ALERT - Amber Alert message being transferred to my phone & my name". I pulled over and checked to see what was going on.

The police dept in Coeur 'd Alene had issued an Amber Alert for somebody who had stollen a vehicle and possibly taken a child from their home.

I have no idea how the police dept knew my phone number and how the message came thru so loud and clear. I was in a VERY remote location where I could not get normal cell reception. I had just previously tried to call my son and had no success.

There is obviously ways to boost transmission for particular situations. Amber alert being one of those situations.

/ Cell phone ALERT #2  
"While the previous Wireless Amber Alert program was SMS text-based, the current Emergency Alert program uses a technology called Cell Broadcast, which delivers messages to all phones within range of designated cell towers. It doesn't send the message to individual recipients, so it doesn't need to know your phone number and it doesn't need to know who you are. This way, the alert also won't be affected by voice and SMS text channels, which are typically more congested. Wireless Emergency Alert notifications are always free."

from - Everything you need to know about mobile Amber Alerts

And, it is a one way broadcast - so it requires less power, no handshaking, and no QoS. Ie, it works where a normal cell call will not.

/ Cell phone ALERT
You sound just like my son, WideFat. He has dual degrees - electrical engineering & computer technology. He, also, has trouble talking down to the peons( me ).

Our college degrees are about as far apart as possible. Mine are in aquatic biology( BS ) & Environmental Science( MS ).

However, I DO understand your last sentence.

/ Cell phone ALERT #4  
Happened to me too. In the middle of the night (Of course). Is that worst possible alert a user selectable option? All for a DOMESTIC custody matter a hundred miles away. Un-freaking believable.

Anyway, it happened a second time, and I told BELL to remove that feature which to my surprise they could and did.

If I had to live with that, I would dispose of my cell phone!

/ Cell phone ALERT #5  
Yesterday I was out driving the Taco Wagon on a dusty back road. I was about half way between my home and Coeur 'd Alene Lake. The new iPhone came alive with a loud ringing and a strange message. It said - " ALERT - Amber Alert message being transferred to my phone & my name". I pulled over and checked to see what was going on.

The police dept in Coeur 'd Alene had issued an Amber Alert for somebody who had stollen a vehicle and possibly taken a child from their home.

I have no idea how the police dept knew my phone number and how the message came thru so loud and clear. I was in a VERY remote location where I could not get normal cell reception. I had just previously tried to call my son and had no success.

There is obviously ways to boost transmission for particular situations. Amber alert being one of those situations.

Local (about 30 miles away when he was picked up). Known domestic abuser, broke a restraining order against her, broke in, sstabbed wife, grabbed kid and hit the road to his dad's house out side of St. John Wash. Wife 'serious but will be okay'. Stand-off at house and finally shot himsefl. Local opinion "no loss to anyone"

/ Cell phone ALERT
Thank you turnkey. I wondered what the outcome was. St John - that's only about thirty miles south of me.

/ Cell phone ALERT #7  
We live in an area where cell calls are difficult or impossible.. depending on the weather,

BUT,,,

text messages always go through, with no issue,,

so,,,

I had to learn to text message my daughters,,
and,, it seems anyone under 35 would prefer to receive a text message as compared to a call,,, anyways.

I guess a message has more "range" than a cell call?? :palmtree:

/ Cell phone ALERT #8  
We live in an area where cell calls are difficult or impossible.. depending on the weather,

BUT,,,

text messages always go through, with no issue,,

so,,,

I had to learn to text message my daughters,,
and,, it seems anyone under 35 would prefer to receive a text message as compared to a call,,, anyways.

I guess a message has more "range" than a cell call?? :palmtree:

A simple text message (no pics or video) uses a different part of the cell link. Your phone is in constant communication with cell towers over a "control channel", a separate and always up connection between your phone and the tower.
Even when your not on a call, your phone and whatever tower is in range are talking over this control channel. Often, the control channel will be working when you have zero bars and cant make a call.
simple text messages are sent and received over this control channel.
It's good to know - in emergencies, when all of the voice channels are taken, you can most likely send a text.

PS - The control channel sounds like a good way for a hacker to access your phone doesnt it?

/ Cell phone ALERT #9  

In your "Settings" you have opted in for Amber Alerts.

You can go in and change it if you don't want them.

/ Cell phone ALERT #10  
Local (about 30 miles away when he was picked up). Known domestic abuser, broke a restraining order against her, broke in, sstabbed wife, grabbed kid and hit the road to his dad's house out side of St. John Wash. Wife 'serious but will be okay'. Stand-off at house and finally shot himsefl. Local opinion "no loss to anyone"

agree, except I don't believe there was a restraining order, she didn't show for the hearing so it was not granted (according to local news last night and this morning)