Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #1  

Metheds21

Tractor
Newholland 1720
Hey all i just bought a ford 1510 tractor I bought it for its backhoe im trying to get it running so i can sell it without its backhoe as it will help me cover the cost.

Heres the issue engine was seized i took the injectors out sprayed pb plaster in the cylinders and after an over night sit i had it rolling over by hand i replaced the injectors and tried to fire engine but it will only crank 1/2 rotation and when i place a pipe wrench on the pully it feels like compression holding it back as it feels spongy but i did not try to force it as it would take more force then i would be comfortable with.

I dont know alot about tractor repair as i usually deal with gas engines. I may have mixed the injector order up dont know if that matters and when i was turning it over by hand it rolled smoothly with the injectors out.

It ran last fall and has sit ever since any help would be greatly appreciated im really hoping to get it to fire ive wanted a backhoe for my 1720 for awhile and getting a few bucks for the tractor would make my wife happy thanks

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #2  
Please explain what you mean by ‘may have gotten the injectors mixed up’.
You may have put the injector from #1 in #2? Or the injector line from #1 connected to #2?
Do you have access to an inspection camera/bore scope? What the cylinder walls look like provides lots of info.
And it is very rare to not hear that ‘it ran when we parked it’ line when you fine a non running engine operated anything.

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #3  
Sounds like it is hydro locked. Did you spin it with the injectors out to clear the excess PB Blaster?

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #4  
Sounds like it is hydro locked. Did you spin it with the injectors out to clear the excess PB Blaster?

That's a good guess on the hydrolocking.....either that or something fell down the injector hole. I'd take the injectors out and start over before going any farther. See if it still spins easy.

And not understanding how you could get the injectors mixed up... They are all the same, so which goes where doesn't matter. Although they do sometimes stick after sitting a long time. But any injector shop can test them for you for cheap. Or you can get a popoff tester on ebay for $100 and do it yourself.

What does matter would be if you got the going to the injectors mixed up. The timing of the fuel injection is set by lobes on the fuel pump. You don't want #2 injecting when it should have been #1. But that mixup is almost impossible to do because those lines from pump to each injector are generally stiff metal, very strong, and pre-bent to fit exactly where they go.... so I don't think you could get them mixed up.
rScotty

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging
I wasnt sure if if the injectors had a cylinder order they looked identical so i figured they didnt i dunno alot about fuel injection.

And hydro lock! Of course there was quite abit of liquid in there at one point i did try to get it all out but didnt put much effort into it ill turn engine over again with injectors out and try again thank you

That was it thank you guys i turned it over a couple times didnt quite start but was close it was firing and sputtering gonna charge the battery and try again thanks again too

Edit do you think ill need to bleed the fuel lines only disconected at the injectors

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #7  
That was it thank you guys i turned it over a couple times didnt quite start but was close it was firing and sputtering gonna charge the battery and try again thanks again too

Edit do you think ill need to bleed the fuel lines only disconected at the injectors

You will definitely need to do that. That's why it is sputtering. If you only had the injectors out and never unscrewed the nuts at the pump, you can crank the engine with the injecto with the nuts very slightly unscrewed just enough so that diesel fuel comes out. You want it to come out without bubbles. This is messy and can take several tries.

However, if you've had the filter off you are going to have to start all the way back there. Using only gravity, bleed the hose to the filter, the filter container itself, and the hose to the pump - all by gravity; not by cranking. Only when you have a pure stream of fuel running through those by gravity then can you tighten all those feeds to the pump back up and begin the second part of the bleeding which is to bleed the high pressure side from the pump to the injector.

good luck
rScotty

Thanks scotty i tried it again before i saw your post and it ran for about 10 seconds and died ill bleed the fuel lines and try again ive seen how much pressure it has this is not gonna be fun but ultimately worth it backhoe will be pretty much free once this thing can move im glad i asked for help on here

I got it runs like a top thank you guys all of ya i appreciate it

/ Ford 1510 wont turn over starter engaging #10  
So now what are you going to do with it? That Ford 1510 is a nifty tractor and well-respected for durability.