TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME
#7,021  
You've never shot out east have you? At the end of the day, same conversation about how much land there is out west to just shoot or hunt on vs what is available on the east coast.

I have not. Are there plenty of public lands to 'plink' on without any permission or restrictions?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,022  
I live in the North East in the hills.
I've taken deer every weres from over 300 yards to under 5 yards (tree stand directly below me).
I think the 06 was a bit of over kill that day.
We have shot targets out to 600 yards back when I was practicing for Marine Corp League shoots.
With receiver sights as well as scoped rifles.
Again, please note, I said average.

Yes, I belonged to a 1,000 yard range when I lived in Pennsylvnia.

I've also lived, in or around Syracuse and Watertown, and spend a lot of time around Lake Placid. A very good old friend has 60 acres around Onieda.

Reality is upstate NY, or pretty much any rural area in PA, WV, NC, SC, Tenn and a host of other east coast states have nothing on Montana, Idaha or Utah when it comes to land to hunt on. Again, just a different scale IMO.

Came back from the transfer station and took a pic of the set up on my land. As you can see, I do have some open space and I'm not limited to only 100 yards.

L.png

On a side note, does the cracked windshield along with dead stink bugs on the dash qualify for redneck points?:unsure:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,023  
What's the backstory to the windshield Sig , self defense drills in the cab and dinged it with a spent casing ?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,024  
I have not. Are there plenty of public lands to 'plink' on without any permission or restrictions?
Not really.

There are some state game lands and private shooting ranges, but nothing what you're use to out west.

First time in Arizona, laughed when they had AK's and AR's for sale at a gas station. Driving and seeing some "pull over ranges" off the road, I was completely amazed and had to use them. Like a kid in a candy store to some extent because I wasn't use to it. I was blown away when I actually took some trips on BLM land in Utah just to shoot because I was there.

When I moved to NC for work 2 decades ago, we had to join a 100 yard range (next county over, a 30 minute drive due west), only decent place to shoot, and that range only had like 8 bays (now outdoor shooting there is not allowed, indoor pistol range only). A co worker let me shoot on his fathers farm as well. When I got my CC permit for NC before I met my wife, we had to drive 30 minutes south to use a private range to qualify as well.

When I met my wife and we bought a place, ironically enough I'm not to far from that same shooting range I went to when I moved down here.

On the east coast, pretty much everyone owns their own land to shoot on or if you're lucky, a range (generally with annual dues) may be an hour away.

Even as a kid hunting in Pa, we got most of our deer in the woods on a good farmer's friend of my dad and uncle.

Last state I moved from, Pa, I belonged to 2 ranges, paid dues. West Virginia has some public shooting ranges, but if you can push 200 yards into the woods, you're lucky.

NY, you're half afriad to have a gun in your car LOL

Below is a trip I took my boys to up in Pa years ago to show them my old shooting range as a kid back in the 70's (back then as a kid, there weren't any benches and there was a boat load of refrigerators and washing machines to shoot at on the coal bank in the foreground LOL)

LA.png

My father, facing away from the camera was talking to the two local guys there (coal region). They were complaining that everyone from Jersey will drive 2-3 hours just to use this area, and that the side of the road is packed with cars on the weekend.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,025  

I've also lived, in or around Syracuse and Watertown, and spend a lot of time around Lake Placid. A very good old friend has 60 acres around Onieda.

Reality is upstate NY, or pretty much any rural area in PA, WV, NC, SC, Tenn and a host of other east coast states have nothing on Montana, Idaha or Utah when it comes to land to hunt on. Again, just a different scale IMO.

Came back from the transfer station and took a pic of the set up on my land. As you can see, I do have some open space and I'm not limited to only 100 yards.

View attachment 688862
On a side note, does the cracked windshield along with dead stink bugs on the dash qualify for redneck points?:unsure:
But see I do not hunt or shoot on property I either don't own or control, that's just the way I am. Definitely qualifies you for redneck points!! Which is a good thing!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,026  
What's the backstory to the windshield Sig , self defense drills in the cab and dinged it with a spent casing ?
It's been there so long, I actually forgot how I got it, but probably a rock somewhere (drives my wife nuts, but hey, it's a truck).

Ironically enough though, I was just picking up some very old and dirty ammo under the seat today as a found a mag sticking up under the seat.

On one state inspection, my wife called the guy to tell him he missed that the one of the rear break lights was out (I had to apologize later to him LOL).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,027  

View attachment 688862
Not without a can of dip on the dash.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,028  
But see I do not hunt or shoot on property I either don't own or control, that's just the way I am. Definitely qualifies you for redneck points!! Which is a good thing!
That's my point though. When I lived in Pa or NY, I generally had to belong to a range to shoot. When I moved to NC, it became basically the same thing until I finally bought my own place. WV had some decent public ranges, but it was a hit or miss on how many people would be there.

At least when I was driving and just checking out the areas out west, it's not like that.

As I tell my boy, there is a difference between "country living" and "redneck living" LOL That said, when my tail pipe broke lose and I used some 3/8" oil line copper to hold back in place (which turned out a lot longer than I expected), I may of crossed the line LOL

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME
#7,029  
I guess I'm blessed because we do have a two clubs/ranges 10 and 15min from our place. I do hate paying for the privilege but I understand.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,030  
Not without a can of dip on the dash.

When I was with my buddy in Montana, I was using a bottle. I looked and saw my buddy spit on the floor of his truck. I asked him what the heck was he doing. He said it'll wash up. Talk about freedom LOL

One thing I hated was when you had a coke spit bottle (mixed with left over coke) and a bottle of coke your were drinking from, and you took a swig from the coke spit bottle by mistake.