Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #211  
Human nature seems to preclude your altruistic wishes... I'm wondering if we are what we are?

It may, but isn't the whole point of a culture/society (particularly one claiming to be "civilized") an attempt to grow beyond our base nature?

If not and striving for more isn't worth it, then why not just go back to the more animalistic modes of interaction where we whack each other over the head with sticks and stones and anarchy & tribalism are the order of the day and might makes right?

Not saying we all have to get along or agree with each other all the time (I don't even do that with myself - especially if/when I haven't had the time to think/consider a matter), but just striving to do resolve differences in a less violent manner and attempting to advance humanity (and not just technology).

Sort of gets to the fundamental purpose of debate/discussion since different people will have different perspectives - and the differences aren't always visible. A great example of that would be the question: "what temperature is cold?" someone who spent much their life among the snow & ice will have a very different answer than someone who's lived in the tropics/sub-tropics. Have actually had some fun and interesting conversations start with that seemingly simple question.

Can't say that I know the answer of whether striving for more is "worth it" for anyone other than me ...and I don't know that I should be deciding for others. So as part of that it also seems quite evident that morality can't be legislated, but has to be learned and embraced by individuals.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #212  
Plus - they would lose millions in donations.

MoKelly
Nailed it. Hate, division, racism and violence sells advertising.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #213  
It may, but isn't the whole point of a culture/society (particularly one claiming to be "civilized") an attempt to grow beyond our base nature?

If not and striving for more isn't worth it, then why not just go back to the more animalistic modes of interaction where we whack each other over the head with sticks and stones and anarchy & tribalism are the order of the day and might makes right?

Not saying we all have to get along or agree with each other all the time (I don't even do that with myself - especially if/when I haven't had the time to think/consider a matter), but just striving to do resolve differences in a less violent manner and attempting to advance humanity (and not just technology).

Sort of gets to the fundamental purpose of debate/discussion since different people will have different perspectives - and the differences aren't always visible. A great example of that would be the question: "what temperature is cold?" someone who spent much their life among the snow & ice will have a very different answer than someone who's lived in the tropics/sub-tropics. Have actually had some fun and interesting conversations start with that seemingly simple question.

Can't say that I know the answer of whether striving for more is "worth it" for anyone other than me ...and I don't know that I should be deciding for others. So as part of that it also seems quite evident that morality can't be legislated, but has to be learned and embraced by individuals.
Sticks and stones replaced with social media virtue signaling and calling one another “racist” or other names to destroy their opponent. Tribalism alive and well.
Today it’s a high tech, white collar lynching, as Clarence Thomas once said (paraphrasing).
My “favorite” are the ones calling names & doing harm all the while virtue signaling by attending church, donning a cross, volunteering at a soup kitchen.

Yesterday it was flooding your basement, today it’s destroy through social media. It’s the same result-harming your fellow man, not helping him.

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #214  
Nailed it. Hate, division, racism and violence sells advertising.
yep, and it'll probably continue that way until it blows up in the face of those profiting off of it - and even then it'll have to be bad enough they learn the lesson (and expirences the consequences for themselves at a personal level).

Though unfortunately even if/when that happens the lesson will (most likely) soon be forgotten/ignored/disregarded by the following generations and the whole bloody cycle repeats itself over and over.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #215  
1618796110705.png

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #216  
Sticks and stones replaced with social media virtue signaling and calling one another “racist” to destroy their opponent. Tribalism alive and well.
Today it’s a high tech, white collar lynching, as Clarence Thomas once said (or something close to that-paraphrasing)
...and then people get surprised when it spills over into sticks, stones, and all other manner of weapons (to include the bare fist and foot). :rolleyes:

When considered from that perspective it's truly a miracle humans have managed to pull off the technological achievements we have given how anti-social society/individuals can be ..... (granted some of that anti-social behavior was also one of the driving factors for some technologies since in developing better sticks & stones to whack each other over the head with - some advancements had/have other useful purposes).

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #217  
This is not POLITICAL at all, its just the facts.
I believe someone had an agenda to further separate the people of this country.
The figures dont lie.
View attachment 695226
How do folks define “mass”. The media calls everything mass - but what is mass? More than 1? Over 5?
MoKelly

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #219  
I believe the generally agreed upon metric for a "mass shooting" is 4 or more victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.