My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,261  
I have a couple outlets I wish were moved. Bookcase blocks one. One each side of bed locations, at couch ends, etc. entertainment center needs a couple.

I also put switch boxes 4’ 1/2” to top off the floor to line up with drywall height.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,262  
They are convenient, but they’re a fair amount of trouble to put in, you need to put a switch leg from the light to the hinge side of the jamb, where you install a very small box that comes with the button switch and the carpenter has to carefully cut the box into the jamb when he installs the door, there’s very little room for error. Probably adds a good $100 to each door a switch is installed on, between buying the special switch and extra labor for the tradesmen. YMMV, but IMHO, a regular switch on the closet wall works just fine.
Wow. I never found them hard to install at all. I ran the wire just like for a normal switch. Carpenter installed door. I cut in switch hole and hooked it up. If your carpenter charges you $100 to install one you might need to change carpenters. :)

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,263  
I have a couple outlets I wish were moved. Bookcase blocks one. One each side of bed locations, at couch ends, etc. entertainment center needs a couple.

I also put switch boxes 4’ 1/2” to top off the floor to line up with drywall height.
I wasn't smart enough to set the switches at that exact height.......

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,264  
They are convenient, but they’re a fair amount of trouble to put in, you need to put a switch leg from the light to the hinge side of the jamb, where you install a very small box that comes with the button switch and the carpenter has to carefully cut the box into the jamb when he installs the door, there’s very little room for error. Probably adds a good $100 to each door a switch is installed on, between buying the special switch and extra labor for the tradesmen. YMMV, but IMHO, a regular switch on the closet wall works just fine.
What I did to retrofit a pantry automatic light was put a motion detector adapter in the light bulb socket. They aren't exactly cheap ($35 CAD) but it was an easy/cheap way to add the feature.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,265  
What I did to retrofit a pantry automatic light was put a motion detector adapter in the light bulb socket. They aren't exactly cheap ($35 CAD) but it was an easy/cheap way to add the feature.
Good idea!!!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,266  
How lazy do we need to get ? My goodness, what effort does it take to turn a normal light switch off and on. What,s next, and app on your phone, so you can do it remotely ? There is a reason, north americans are getting fatter, and fatter. Reaching for a light switch is probably the most exercise some folks get. Don,t take that away from them. LOL

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,267  
Well, I do have an app for that. Lol

It’s not about lazy, it’s about people leaving lights on when not needed.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,268  

Now - if someone could invent an app to close the refrigerator door after my son sweeps in and out!!!!

MoKelly

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,269  
Another place for motion detection lights is in the stairwell and back entry. You walk in, the light goes on. Arms full or not. The stairway you put one foot down and the lights go on. That one I considered a safety issue. My wife and I are both getting a bit older and it's nice to be able to see where you are going without having to touch a light switch. If you want to consider that lazy fine. I figured saving one broken leg and the lights were paid for.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,270  

Yeah we went with phillips hue bulbs and strip LEDs for most of our common areas back in 2015. And the cheaper GE link bulbs are also compatible. Maybe ~40 bulbs/fixtures in total on our app. All the switches work like normal. But you can hit a button on your phone in 2 secs to change the entire mood of the house, color, brightness, etc. Or get into bed and then hit "all off", probably my favorite feature.

Only cost a few hundred dollars above standard bulb pricing, and 5 years later they all still work perfectly.