ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #11  
With all due respect, you pick up a loaded gun, aim the barrel at your head and pull the trigger, it's not the guns fault but your fault for either wanting to kill yourself or not understanding the tool.

Inanimate objects can't figure out its owner, but the owner can learn and understand about the inanimate object.
Very well said.

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #12  
The parents should be charged for negligence. They won't, but they should be.

By this same logic, cars kill far more in accidents, and should be banned.

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #14  
I am sorry to see a kid lose his life for another kid's poor judgement, enabled by regrettable judgement on the part of the parents.

I had a lovely friend once.
"Had? I hear you say."
"Yes, had."
Stay tuned.

My friend was driving an ATV around on friend's property one day, larking around. Her ATV hit a small hole and the resulting crash flipped her on to the ground. She sustained severe head and neck injuries. She spent months in hospital, and years in rehab. She lost her job and had to change work as a result. She moved home so that her mom could nurse her. Her fiancé stayed with her and married her. She was young, had superb reflexes (used to breed horses and race them for fun). I have no idea how many IQ points were shaved off in that instant, but it crushed a personality. She still walks with a cane. She has no memories of who we are, and what we used to do together. She is very apologetic about not knowing us, which makes it even more sad.

I had another acquaintance who flipped his ATV hitting a ditch. He leapt to his feet with both hands in the air in a "TaaDaa" move, and collapsed. He was dead before anyone got to him. As I heard it, he had crushed various organs, but death was probably caused by a ruptured spleen.

I understand that lots folks use ATVs for work, and for fun. That doesn't make them safe, and I, for one, would be behind changes like @MikeFarm mentions to make them safer. I would like to keep more of you all around.

Who needs to lose friends and relatives? We have ROPS on our tractors, and there isn't a sunny day that I am not thankful for it, but given my uneven land, I am thankful for it nearly every second for safety reasons.

Yes, I believe in the importance and utility of safety belts, air bags, and helmets. For those of you who choose not to wear helmets, thank you, too, but please sign your organ donor cards. You all are the prime source for quality donor organs.

Be safe out there.

Stepping off the soapbox now...

All the best,

Peter

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #15  
Stick to your guns.
Very hard to do with one strong willed know it all 16 year old ;)

For myself, one could move out tommorow and I'll let him figure it out on his own...ABSOLUTELY no common sense putting things together on how things will play out given your own actions and how you treat people.

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #16  
Without clicking the link to read the article, OP doesn't say if this was on a public road. If so, the parents need to be charged criminally.

I am personally completely opposed to off road vehicles being used on road for recreation. They should be impounded and sold at auction. Our state bans them on roads, but has an exception for farmers running between their own fields for farming or livestock purposes. That is on county roads only, not state roads.

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #17  
My newest ATV is a 2003. The thing has warning labels all over it, mostly saying 'nobody under 16 is allowed to operate it.'

It IS annoying to see all the kids operating them irresponsibly... but we have to decide how much liberty means to us, or we won't be allowed to do anything.

I taught all of my kids to ride dirt bikes and we use our liberty to choose wearing safety equipment always.

PICT0004b.JPG

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #18  
I used to be able to buy a cheap 3 wheeler atv and drive it anywhere, through the Louisiana swamps and across rivers. Then foolish people started riding them and getting maimed or killed doing things they never should have done. They got outlawed and 4 wheel atvs were made that got stuck on wet grass but cost a lot more so they had to make 4 wheel drive on the 4 wheelers that made them heavier and even more costly and they still couldn't go where the 3 wheelers used to go.

Now a good used 4wheeler cost more than a used pickup truck and if I want to get back in the swamps I have to ride my horse. Horses have always been more dangerous than 3 wheelers so I guess in time my horse will look like this:
6c83b3c2be3ce24efd300744257362f4--cowboy-horse-western-cowboy.jpg

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #19  
ANother anecdote from the HayDude. I love it.
Got plenty more, but mostly they are about members of the Democrat party, which cant take a joke anymore, and isn’t allowed to be discussed here anyway.

/ ATV ban proposed in Ontario Canada #20  
The parents are not pursuing these laws to make kids more safe in the future, they are calling for laws to relieve themselves of the guilt they bear from their stupidity. "See. it was really THEIR fault." is a common argument in court cases I'm familiar with. A brake pedal should be able to crush a beer can that's rolled under it after the drunk driver dropped it out of his hand. The technology was available to prevent a drunk driver from operating any vehicle. The pickup truck with an aftermarket 10" lift kit rolled over and killed the unbelted passenger. The OEM and the aftermarket supplier are guilty because they did not foresee the obvious danger of the higher c.g. and provide appropriate stickers and labels in at least 2 languages to warn purchasers and operators of these (cars and) trucks. The OEM is at fault for not limiting the vehicle's speed to the Speed Rating designation of the current OE or aftermarket tires. So when his kid went for 160 MPH on MI-39 on tires rated for 115 mph, he knows the car maker is to blame. Seen quite a few of these. Expensive even if you win the case.