TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,051  
One FFL explained their position to me; its a $25 transfer, and they aren't going to take any risks they don't feel good about over $25. Its not required, but very few will do it.
I had a really good FFL, worked with my weird schedule and overall a great place to do business with. It was almost $30 added to the price of the gun. However, owner's policy was that it had to come in from an FFL. I bought a Remington 513T and it arrived from an individual. They were minutes away from sending it back to Texas when I just happen to call to see if it had arrived. I went looking and found an FFL that would accept from an individual. one 30 miles from my house and another 300 miles away.
The Old Grind isn't looking at $25, if I understood it correctly, as I think he said over $100!!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,052  
Handguns MUST be shipped overnight. That is a fed law. Overnighting a handgun is expensive. I think the cheapest I ever had was $50-60.

That is the main reason it's so expensive to ship a handgun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,053  
I don't have all the answers, but I did see on UPS's website several stipulations. One that bothers me is "Contractual", which may mean only from someone that has been approved, such as a business that regularly ships Hazmat items and is trained to do it. The way it has to be handed off to UPS also is a unique requirement, as drop boxes and such aren't allowed, only the actual UPS sites.(counters at UPS operational facilities) We have one here, and I use it for anything that I ship UPS because it is just as convenient and sidesteps another person handling it. Are you close to one?

ORM-D - Ground Service

The ORM-D classification for hazardous materials is obsolete, effective January 1, 2021. This includes Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, Small Arms; and Cartridge, Power Device. Refer to the Limited Quantity Exception for Ground Service to determine if your material qualifies for the Limited Quantity exception.

and yet...

Is a Hazardous Materials Label or Marking Required?​

Yes, qualified packages that meet the definition of Cartridges, small arms must be marked with the Limited Quantity black and white marking when shipped by UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska. Shipping papers are not required.

ormd_ammunition_diamond.jpg

The Limited Quantity marking (approximately 4 X 4 inches) must be securely affixed to your package and placed on package as a "square on point" or "diamond".

Getting the Package to UPS​

Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services , or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.
Domestic Cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth above, in the "Shipping Firearms or Ammunition" guidelines, and in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms")) may be delivered by UPS to a third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.

Important Additional Information​

• Ammunition may not be packaged with firearms NOTE THIS ONE!!!
  • Ammunition may not be shipped to individuals under the age of 18
  • Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally

For additional information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments, see "Shipping Firearms or Ammunition," at the link below, or contact UPS.

Shipping Firearms or Ammunition

David from jax
Unless things have changed you can also ship ammo via Fedex, schedule a home pick up or take it to fedex location.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,054  
Handguns MUST be shipped overnight. That is a fed law. Over-nighting a handgun is expensive. I think the cheapest I ever had was $50-60. That is the main reason it's so expensive to ship a handgun.

Makes sense but the last HG I shipped was signed over on a Friday at the FFL/shop and arrived at the destination on a Monday. Dunno what day it was actually shipped 'overnight'. o_O Anyway guess I know what the next one will cost to send along. :sneaky:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,055  
Actually it is not Federal Law that handguns ship overnight...it is the policy of the common carriers. If you violate it and your handgun is lost or damaged you are hosed for violating their policy. The common carriers want to ship overnight because it reduce their touch time and less touch time equates to reduced pilferage.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,056  
I just saw this thread (new member) and I'm going to try to read most of it bit by bit when I can.

I'm a Canadian gun owner and the laws are so different.

I stay on top of the Canadian scene and advocate against the new nonsense laws they are passing here, on top of the existing laws.

Many in the US are surprised at what we can and can not own here, but like everywhere they are slowly trying to take it all away.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,057  
Actually it is not Federal Law that handguns ship overnight...it is the policy of the common carriers. If you violate it and your handgun is lost or damaged you are hosed for violating their policy. The common carriers want to ship overnight because it reduce their touch time and less touch time equates to reduced pilferage.
Well, unless something has changed in the last few years, which I doubt very much, it is a specific requirement that handguns be shipped by overnight courier. The requirement was specifically called out in the "Big Book" rule book that FFL's used to keep on hand. As an FFL, you received 2 books from ATF, one was the "Big Book" of rules, and the other one was the state-by-state book of individual state regulations as pertained to firearms and state residency. Each book was several inches thick.

I have been out of that game for long enough that I don't have access to either book anymore, or I would quote you chapter and verse of the specific passage.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,058  
Well, unless something has changed in the last few years, which I doubt very much, it is a specific requirement that handguns be shipped by overnight courier. The requirement was specifically called out in the "Big Book" rule book that FFL's used to keep on hand. As an FFL, you received 2 books from ATF, one was the "Big Book" of rules, and the other one was the state-by-state book of individual state regulations as pertained to firearms and state residency. Each book was several inches thick.

I have been out of that game for long enough that I don't have access to either book anymore, or I would quote you chapter and verse of the specific passage.
In the ATF's FAQ's it just says you can't mail concealable firearms, but I'm pretty sure all the contract carriers will only overnight them so it could still be a rule somewhere.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,059  
Yogi05, welcome to the forum! It will probably take you a while to get all these pages read!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,060