Hauling Sub-Compact.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #21  
Thanks guys, I'll probably pay to have it delivered. It's a gc1725m with only a loader.
I have a 1723EB (Loader with backhoe), I just went through purchasing a trailer with it. I ended up with a 7k double axle trailer being required to haul it. Weight I was showing was about 2700 lbs if I recall correctly. None of the single axle trailers I could find could get in without going over the max total weight when the math was all said and done.

I hate to spend money on the trailers for the occasional use but I have witnessed multiple accidents from the overloading/improper loading of trailers, one which almost killed me and I dont want to be responsible for what happens if I had to try to stop quickly. I dont mean to start trouble either but LostMy65 that has all the appearance of being irresponsible.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #22  
That looks like quite a few homebuilt trailers I've encountered. The axle looks to be mounted at the midpoint of the cargo box, which balances the gravel load all on the axle (mobile home axle, too). Slipper springs, and light ones at that. A properly built box trailer should have closer to 60% of the box in front of the axle, so that tongue weight increases as the load does. Proper tongue weight is important - too light will cause the trailer to whip at speed, and that's pucker time! Quite often results in a very bad day.
I just scrapped a 24’ homebuilt travel trailer I found on CL to get some steel to weld with. He told me if I brought fresh tires I could tow it home…glad I didn’t even attempt that method. Pretty scary that this was holding a 24’ travel trailer, he had torn it down to the deck before I got to it but the floor was 2x6, 2x4, and 3/4 ply construction and weighed a crap ton so can’t imagine what it wheighed as a complete travel trailer.
895EF91D-28E3-4942-B748-F5E1ACF29C6F.jpeg
06409F33-6732-47BF-A36F-A759C6B5B4BA.jpeg

C22796FE-78B9-47FD-BC4B-E942C0AB9DD5.jpeg

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #23  
Looks like that "one-ton" trailer has a 6K axle. It looks like a mobile home axle, but that hub is for more than 2000 lbs I believe. You could expect your SCUT, with loader, to come in at about 1800lbs. A yard of gravel is about 2700 lbs - more for some grades - so if it handled that with grace, your tractor would be less of a load. The leaf springs appear to be your limiting factor.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #25  
I pull with a 14k tilt bed. The load runs about 10K. It is correct, whatever you carry, the total load must be considered, tractor, fuel on tractor, all implements, and the weight of the trailer. Over 3500# requires brakes on one axle here, and over #5000, Brakes on both axles. I also use a sway bar equlizing hitch. Also, the total load of trailer (above) + the weight of the two vehicle is the GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. ) That should also not be exceeded. Best wishes. Larry

Attachments

• Orange Peel.JPG
    Orange Peel.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 146
   / Hauling Sub-Compact. #26  
   / Hauling Sub-Compact. #27  
All you need is good trailer brakes and weight balance. If you’re underpowered, then gearing and patience. For instance, this set up here requires all of the above plus an additional abundance prayer. :)

Attachments

• 4C0832EA-4D28-43B3-86C4-1426CA843B84.jpeg
    4C0832EA-4D28-43B3-86C4-1426CA843B84.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
   / Hauling Sub-Compact. #28  
All you need is good trailer brakes and weight balance. If your underpowered, then gearing and patience. For instance, this set up here requires all of the above plus an additional abundance prayer. :)
That may be a smart car, but not smart driver. Ha

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #29  
I tried hauling my BX on a 16" equipment trailer with a Dakota pickup. I rapidly determined I had the tail wagging the dog.
Well there's your problem. I hope you meant 16' trailer, not 16". :)

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #30  
I just scrapped a 24’ homebuilt travel trailer I found on CL to get some steel to weld with. He told me if I brought fresh tires I could tow it home…glad I didn’t even attempt that method. Pretty scary that this was holding a 24’ travel trailer, he had torn it down to the deck before I got to it but the floor was 2x6, 2x4, and 3/4 ply construction and weighed a crap ton so can’t imagine what it wheighed as a complete travel trailer.
View attachment 712206View attachment 712207
View attachment 712208
NOT a mobile home axle. This is a older pickup front axle that has had the spindles welded to the axle and the axle itself cut in two and had some angle iron pieces scabbed on to make it wider. Even the springs and perches are from a truck. This is a recipe for disaster.