Redback 120 volt battery equipment

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Has anyone on here bought and used any of Redback 120 volt outdoor equipment? Examples chain saw , hedge trimmer, leaf blower, string trimmer, lawn mower. I bought several of the tools before pandemic and really like them but apparently they went out of business. 2 of the batteries for the mower 3 ah show defective and will not charge and I cannot find replacements anywhere anyone have any ideas.

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #2  
I've never seen a 120 volt battery. Most of mine are 18 volts. If your battery is composed of individual cells you may well have a failure of one or more individual cells. Most of these batteries can be disassembled and defective cells replaced. There are common sizes of many of these cells. You need only know the type of cell - nickel cadmium. nickel metal hydride, lithium ion, etc. It's unlikely your equipment has a special battery, it's more likely to be a special case.

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment
How can you tell which cells are defective? They are Samsung cells I forget what number

Attachments

• P1010011 (5).JPG
    P1010011 (5).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • P1010007 (3).JPG
    P1010007 (3).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
   / Redback 120 volt battery equipment #4  
There are companies that repack and may even have clones, I have bought 40v aftermarket for my Ryobi gear and cloneDJI drone batteries, they all seem to hold up as well.
Panasonic are reputed to be probably the best batteries, they have another name which escapes me at the moment.

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #5  
How can you tell which cells are defective? They are Samsung cells I forget what number
If you are going to rebuild the battery, replace all the cells.

Are they really 120v? Running a universal motor off of DC, 90 volts will give the same power as 120v. AC.

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #6  
It appears your Redback equipment uses forty volt batteries. If you open the pack you can measure individual cells. A cell with zero volts is defective. The packs are available but they ain't cheap. redback batteries | eBay

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #7  
I've never heard of a 120V DC battery either. HOWEVER - take a close look at the pictures in post# 3. Right across the front - "120V Lithium".

Last edited:
   / Redback 120 volt battery equipment
It appears your Redback equipment uses forty volt batteries. If you open the pack you can measure individual cells. A cell with zero volts is defective. The packs are available but they ain't cheap. redback batteries | eBay
They also made the 40 volt tools and you can still buy them but the 120 volt batteries and tools cannot be found. I have contacted different sellers of the 40 volt and they cannot give me any information about the 120 volt products

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #9  
It appears you are quite correct about that battery voltage, my bad. I may be mistaken but I believe I have read that it is (or was) illegal to sell consumer battery equipment operating in excess of fifty volts for safety reasons. That could be why replacements are scarce. That may also be why forty volt tools are currently the highest voltage ones you'll see. One exception is electric car batteries but they're not considered user serviceable. Of course you may be able to rig something to put three forty volt batteries in series but that could be a bit awkward for portable equipment.

/ Redback 120 volt battery equipment #10  
It appears you are quite correct about that battery voltage, my bad. I may be mistaken but I believe I have read that it is (or was) illegal to sell consumer battery equipment operating in excess of fifty volts for safety reasons. That could be why replacements are scarce. That may also be why forty volt tools are currently the highest voltage ones you'll see. One exception is electric car batteries but they're not considered user serviceable. Of course you may be able to rig something to put three forty volt batteries in series but that could be a bit awkward for portable equipment.

seems like your mistaken