Battery Help

/ Battery Help #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
The battery on my 2008 4320 finally gave up the ghost. What recommendations for replacement do you all have?

Thanks
Dave

/ Battery Help #2  
The battery on my 2008 4320 finally gave up the ghost. What recommendations for replacement do you all have?

Thanks
Dave
Wow, that is a good question. I think most are junk *compared* to a few years ago. Recently purchased "Die Hard" (2) for my tractor because that is what they had in stock. Normally, look for Interstate - ONLY because in the past I had good luck with them. Today, who knows ?
I am often perplexed to find a brand / model for anything. I have had OEM tires on a pickup go 80,000 and the next ones 20,000. Who really knows ?
Interesting to me was, the Die Hard batteries had a tag "made in Spain" on them ? So, they can manufacture these HEAVY units in Spain, transport to the US for less $ than "we" can make them here ? Wow... Guess I should not be surprised.

/ Battery Help #4  
I just put new batteries in almost all our vehicles & tractors & boat last year. I went with AGM and dual purpose deepcycle/starting battery type on everything.
That means no more wet cell batteries. I couldn't find a reason to put up with corrosion & maintenance now that sealed batteries like AGMs are available for every purpose.

I chose mostly based on matching physical size or group number, Cold Cranking Amps, and terminal configuration.

The brands I chose were Odyssey, NorthStar, and Interstate Marine. They weren't the cheapest, but when I looked back over what I spent for batteries in terms of dollars per year, the cheapest batteries were never the best deal..... only the cheapest at the time.

Ordered everything online. A surprising number of places ship for free. I can't drive to town to pick up a battery for what I can get one delivered.

Only problem is how to get the old batteries to the recycler.
rScotty

/ Battery Help #5  
I just put new batteries in almost all our vehicles & tractors & boat last year. I went with AGM and dual purpose deepcycle/starting battery type on everything.
That means no more wet cell batteries. I couldn't find a reason to put up with corrosion & maintenance now that sealed batteries like AGMs are available for every purpose.

I chose mostly based on matching physical size or group number, Cold Cranking Amps, and terminal configuration.

The brands I chose were Odyssey, NorthStar, and Interstate Marine. They weren't the cheapest, but when I looked back over what I spent for batteries in terms of dollars per year, the cheapest batteries were never the best deal..... only the cheapest at the time.

Ordered everything online. A surprising number of places ship for free. I can't drive to town to pick up a battery for what I can get one delivered.

Only problem is how to get the old batteries to the recycler.
rScotty
Probably different where you live but around here a couple junkyards actually pay money for junk batteries, think it’s 11 cents a pound next to nothing but at least you don’t have to pay to get rid of them.

/ Battery Help #6  

Thanks
Dave
I put the JD battery in its place. 2008 - 2022 is a pretty good testament to performance.

But poking around to find better may be worth your time and money. Good luck

/ Battery Help #7  
That's almost how long the original Kubota battery - a wet cell type - lasted on the M59. From Spring of 2008 to this last Fall. Always had a charge until one day when it didn't. Unlike most batteries it didn't get weak, it just quit one day.
But during its tenure in the Kubota it required a terminal cleaning every couple of years and still managed to eat up a set of battery connectors, the entire negative lead to ground - which corroded away INSIDE the rubber insulation.
And of course the fumes ate up parts of the battery mounting box & bracketry.

I'm looking forward to the replacement AGM lasting as long and without the maintenance.
rScotty

/ Battery Help #8  
That's almost how long the original Kubota battery - a wet cell type - lasted on the M59. From Spring of 2008 to this last Fall. Always had a charge until one day when it didn't. Unlike most batteries it didn't get weak, it just quit one day.
That seems to be the way batteries are now. I have had several do that over the last decade. The car starts just fine and an hour later the battery is just done. I was SURE my alternator wasn’t working in my truck, nope, just a dead battery. There must be a difference in the tech that causes a cell to stop working nearly instantly.

/ Battery Help
But during its tenure in the Kubota it required a terminal cleaning every couple of years and still managed to eat up a set of battery connectors, the entire negative lead to ground - which corroded away INSIDE the rubber insulation.
And of course the fumes ate up parts of the battery mounting box & bracketry.

I'm looking forward to the replacement AGM lasting as long and without the maintenance.
rScotty
What is AGM?