Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,672  
They say none have been built, but China has at least one small modular reactor prototype in operation. Nuclear is a great option for the PNW because we have massive hydro capacity on the Columbia that can be shut down during low demand periods. Starting or stopping a turbine is as easy as turning a valve, while the nuke needs to run full out 24/7.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,673  
Many AMs, especially in smaller cities/towns have FM translators nowadays. These are low-powered transmitters (generally 250W or less) that repeat the programming of their associated AM. In most cases most if not all of the listenership is to the FM. Many AMs have ditched the right wing talk and started playing music again once they got a translator.
You don't see as many of them in densely populated areas due to the lack of available frequencies.
I have 5 stations preset in my work car. All of them are AM. 1 local news talk, 1 in the town where I work news and talk, 3 stations out of Chicago, 2 news and talk, 1 sports.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,674  
All AM here also.

Weather and Traffic on the 8's, News talk both here and other locations.

My 1959 Rambler has a much better AM than my BMW or Toyota... so does my 80's Chevrolet Truck...

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,676  
Who the heck still uses AM. I have 3 FM stations setup on the buttons, but rarely listen to the radio.
Podcasts or audio books for me. Only time the radio is on, is if I've burned through my downloaded content. Then when I get home that night, I download another block of podcast episodes to listen too.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,677  
When Im on the road the powerhouse stations are AM and in the SF Bay Area traffic and weather is a tradition...

Me thinks the AM broadcasters don't know no one listens and this includes the sports broadcasts...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,678  
They say none have been built, but China has at least one small modular reactor prototype in operation. Nuclear is a great option for the PNW because we have massive hydro capacity on the Columbia that can be shut down during low demand periods. Starting or stopping a turbine is as easy as turning a valve, while the nuke needs to run full out 24/7.
Nuclear power plants do not need to run full out 24/7/365. France has been throttling theirs for years to meet demand.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,679  
Chase vehicles had to fuel when EV still had 81%? So the chase vehicles had a 150 mile range or didn't fill up when they started the trip. Other than that I liked the video and would consider an EV with 400 mile range.

I wouldn't depend on an EV as my only transportation until charging times come down to about 15 minutes.
Can not get the charge times shorter . Too fast then the battery will both over heated and the cells will off gas due to electrolysis .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,680  
Nuclear power plants do not need to run full out 24/7/365. France has been throttling theirs for years to meet demand.

While the power can be dialed up and down on a civilian reactor . Most were designed to operate 24/7 at 100% .
Bruce Power blows steam to the condensers to reduce output . Rather than vary the reactor flux strength .