Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,031  
Christmas in July!
001D31E4-1E8B-4544-A81A-695AD2297AA3.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,032  
….

That is why a Kia was used not a Tesla. The Kia on unreliable government chargers was doomed to fail. In contrast Tesla Superchargers are very reliable. Tesla knows their reputation is on the line. Electrify America is spending government money so their priory is to spend and get established before it is taken away.
This is why I began buying Tesla stock in 2009. They were not only building cars, but the infrastructure too. It has worked out quite well so far.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,033  
I'm just so happy I'm 70, wife 68. Certainly some things are better today, other's not so much
We could buy EVs, Bugatti or Lamborghini but wouldn't have them. Whatever blows your skirt as they say.
Two years ago when gas was half price things were so much better. Most people fall into that trap "if I spend $XX,XXX I'll be saving $XXX."
Many years ago I thought (and that $1,500 phone is a great example) "Today's new and improved is tomorrow's junk".
Now the EV owners and proponents will dive all over me which I could care less, but to me it's just sad watching all the lemmings going over the cliff.
Actually, I will not dive on u mr. Fudd. I just see people spending big money on EVs differently. I believe they do it because they like them - vs thinking they have to or are saving money by doing so.

Time will tell about the EV future, but it certainly is a fun ride currently on the EV bandwagon 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,034  
I can see that... my Chinese friend to paraphrase would say Western thinking is short range and Chinese is long range... more than willing along the way to accept compromise a long as it advances the end game...

Maybe the last 30 years is one of compromise?

On a separate note I can see where more countries... especially small countries could be looking to Nuclear future...

The Russia/China posture has reset the game going forward...
Well, we in the west have put greed and maximize profit without any tough on social or long term consequences for security, environment or the stability of the country and society. Unlimited greed is the holy grail, me, me and me first.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,035  
Actually, I will not dive on u mr. Fudd. I just see people spending big money on EVs differently. I believe they do it because they like them - vs thinking they have to or are saving money by doing so.

Time will tell about the EV future, but it certainly is a fun ride currently on the EV bandwagon
Most people that have EV and I have spoken to wold never ever buy a another ICE, there are just no point to go back.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,036  
93 MPH per my test on a downhill run when I first got the Leaf. I expect the 150 mile range would be under 50 miles but top speed would be reduced to 30 MPH due to a red hot battery.
Our Impala pegs the meter at 99mpg when doing 112mph on a steep downhill (on a closed course by a professional driver, of course ;) ).

It gets 6mpg on the way back up. 🙃

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,037  
Our Impala pegs the meter at 99mpg when doing 112mph on a steep downhill (on a closed course by a professional driver, of course ;) ).

It gets 6mpg on the way back up.
My Sierra with the Big V8 and heavy rear end does the same.

But the average fuel economy on your impala is probably better then my truck

Surprisingly though, it averages about 22mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,038  
My Sierra with the Big V8 and heavy rear end does the same.

But the average fuel economy on your impala is probably better then my truck

Surprisingly though, it averages about 22mpg.
I get 29-30 consistently on the highway at 75mph. In town, mid-teens.

What impresses me about today’s cars is that back when I was a teen in the late 70’s, to get a car to make 300hp was no easy task, was not comfortably streetable, and the car got about 8mpg. The 2013 Impala and many, many, other cars makes 300hp from the factory, yet is very comfortable to drive, and gets great mileage compared to similar hp cars of the past.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,039  
Our 93 Suburban with the 5.7 got 18mpg on the highway and 75 was not easily maintained due to noise and higher RPMs.

Our 2003 Suburban with the 5.3 only gets 17mpg on the highway at 75, but is quiet, smooth, and not turning high RPMs. A much better ride than the 93 style.

But I miss my 42 gallon tank in the 93. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,040  
What impresses me about today’s cars is that back when I was a teen in the late 70’s, to get a car to make 300hp was no easy task, was not comfortably streetable, and the car got about 8mpg. The 2013 Impala and many, many, other cars makes 300hp from the factory, yet is very comfortable to drive, and gets great mileage compared to similar hp cars of the past.
Exactly!
ICE engines have come a long way in the past few years. If someone had told me 20 or 30 years ago, when I was driving pickups with 454 or 460 engines and getting at best 12 mpg, that I could have a truck that got better than 20 mpg, could go 700 miles on a tank of gas, and still have a payload of 2000 pounds I would have called them a liar. But my F150 has proved me wrong. 64,000 miles on it now and it has been flawless. With the cruise set at 75 I traveled nearly 350 miles since filling up - and still showing 478 miles till empty!

P1016759ertbn7-30-22.jpg