Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,101  
Orders of magnitude means hundreds of times as many wind farms. The US consumes 3 million barrels of diesel a day.
Imagine trying to replace that with electric vehicles. That's a lot of kWhs

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,102  
Short course on the three laws of thermodynamics:

1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.
3 You can't get out of the game.

James Clerk Maxwell is not as famous as Einstein, but he gave us thermodynamics, electromagnetic theory, and invented color photography in his spare time. He's right up there with Newton and Einstein in brilliance.
He also had a demon.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,103  
All well and good until XI cuts them off and then what?

I steadfastly maintain there will never be a toaster in this driveway.
My father would often say Son never is a might long time. :)

Well if the two of us and Xi leave the earth due to some reason before 2023 I wonder if it would effect the EV evolution materially? 🤔

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,104  
Not concerned at all Gale. Not gonna happen on this farm as long as I'm alive at least and you and I both know what the end game is when the electric cars overload the marginal grid anyway.

Why I rarely comment on this thread. I just read along and chuckle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,105  
Imagine trying to replace that with electric vehicles. That's a lot of kWhs
I have imagined it, which is why I don't think it will ever happen. Replacing petroleum with electricity would require a complete restructuring of our transportation system, including the end of long haul trucking and short commuter flights. Rail runs fine on electricity and uses about 13% of the energy to move a ton of freight. We could limit trucking to short haul local deliveries, but when I try to imagine the rail system that would move passengers at 300 mph and freight across the country in three days, my mind boggles. If we started now, it would take a century to build that infrastructure and the expense would be enormous.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,106  
He also had a demon.
Who was making the claim Maxwell was not human? I have yet to meet a man without a demon assuming there is such a thing.

EVs may be demonized by some.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,107  
Who was making the claim Maxwell was not human? I have yet to meet a man without a demon assuming there is such a thing.

EVs may be demonized by some.
Maxwell's Demon is a thought experiment. The demon was tasked with sorting molecules by energy or concentration, thus reversing entropy. Physicist jokes can get kind of obscure.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,108  
…..
I steadfastly maintain there will never be a toaster in this driveway.

you don’t know what you are missing. 😁

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,109  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,110  
Our new Model 3 Long Range is a real hoot to drive. The electric CoOp says grid overload due to car charging is a Long way off. Off-peak rates make it cheap to run. What’s not to like? What’s to be negative about?