Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,841  
I've recently cut about 10 12-18" pine trees, some recently green and some recent bark beetle kills (some needles were barely green any more and the wood pretty dry)... is there any use for these logs?

I've thought of getting an alaskan sawmill for the lolz and just playing with it on these logs - would that just be an exercise in frustration? (I've got an Echo CS590 that I'd use for that)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,843  
First load ready to haul to the mill

(y) You've paid your dues getting that load out this week.

I've heard others say pine is up and even a local logger stopped by 2 weeks ago asking if I was interested in having some pine cut. But when I look at Canopy's price sheets they show $300/MBF straight thru (ie no grades like #1, #2, etc) for saw logs with 1" max knots for anything shorter than 16'6". To me $300 is average but better than the $250 it has been. But they tightened the knot spec from 2"black/3"red to 1" knot. That spec is way to restrictive for cutting in my wood lot. I'd do better with the $250 and 3"/2" knots or I'd have mostly pallet logs at $100/MBF

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,844  
Truck came by at 7:15 this AM and the load is gone:D
Premium pine down here is $500/mbf and straight through should be about $400/mbf

Attachments

• load.JPG
    load.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
  • loading.JPG
    loading.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
  • loading1JPG.JPG
    loading1JPG.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,846  
Very nice fruitcakes - nice load and good timing !

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,848  
(y) You've paid your dues getting that load out this week.

I've heard others say pine is up and even a local logger stopped by 2 weeks ago asking if I was interested in having some pine cut. But when I look at Canopy's price sheets they show $300/MBF straight thru (ie no grades like #1, #2, etc) for saw logs with 1" max knots for anything shorter than 16'6". To me $300 is average but better than the $250 it has been. But they tightened the knot spec from 2"black/3"red to 1" knot. That spec is way to restrictive for cutting in my wood lot. I'd do better with the $250 and 3"/2" knots or I'd have mostly pallet logs at $100/MBF

gg
How do they call the knot out there? Some places out here all call them differently especially if being bumped by a chain saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,849  
How do they call the knot out there? Some places out here all call them differently especially if being bumped by a chain saw.

I've only delivered white pine to two very local places. One a family owned mill and the other a good sized log yard that has a Hancock buyer/scaler come around regularly. They both do it the same way. They want the branches trimmed flush with the log and they measure (by eye mostly) the largest diameter of the colored part of the knot. Sounds exact to say 3" red knot or 2" black knot max but it is still open to a lot of interpertation based on where and how many knots and what the rest of the log looks like or the log price. Higher prices brings more scrutiny.

gg

Last edited: