Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,301  
Tesla’s brake lights come on when a set amount of deceleration happens. I love it. I drove a whole outing once without ever touching the brake. Pads and rotors last forever.
I do a lot of in town driving and occasional distance driving and never bought a rotor including my 1985 3/4 truck…

I think much is how you drive… my grandmother would go through brakes every 10,000 miles or about once a year… she rode the brakes and I used a lower gear.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,302  
LoL...Like I said I was asking for a friend...!

But now "I" want to know if the "accelerator pedal" also initiates regen braking...just calling it an accelerator pedal seems insufficient...?
Acceleration is both positive and negative.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,303  
I do a lot of in town driving and occasional distance driving and never bought a rotor including my 1985 3/4 truck…

I think much is how you drive… my grandmother would go through brakes every 10,000 miles or about once a year… she rode the brakes and I used a lower gear.
It differs with vehicle. VW Golf went through front rotors fairly quick. It was simply painful to buy new OE ATE rotors for $18 each. Or $10 to turn. Barely had one turn before too thin. They liked to warp requiring turning or replacement.

At 55,000 miles my ML320 needed rear pads. I don't know if PO had replaced anything but rotors were 1/3rd between "new" and "replace" thickness.

Toyota Avalon and Prius, and Ford F-250, looked like they were going 150,000 miles before first pads. Same for my Tesla.

Yamaha street bike gets 25-30,000 miles on pads. Rotors don't look worn but I did wear the heck out of a KTM 450 EXC's rear rotor to the point it had to be replaced.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,305  
It differs with vehicle. VW Golf went through front rototheyY were cryi airly quick. It was simply painful to buy new OE ATE rotors for $18 each. Or $10 to turn. Barely had one turn before too thin. They liked to warp requiring turning or replacement.

At 55,000 miles my ML320 needed rear pads. I don't know if PO had replaced anything but rotors were 1/3rd between "new" and "replace" thickness.

Toyota Avalon and Prius, and Ford F-250, looked like they were going 150,000 miles before first pads. Same for my Tesla.

Yamaha street bike gets 25-30,000 miles on pads. Rotors don't look worn but I did wear the heck out of a KTM 450 EXC's rear rotor to the point it had to be replaced.
It would save expense for some I'm sure especially with the steep hills around the Bay Area and San Francisco

Sister in n Law had rotor issues on Jeep Grand Cherokee...

I suggested more expensive race prepped... don't remember if they were cryo frozen and nitrided???

Whatever they did it cured the problem.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,308  
Some of my cars have no accelerator pedal... only hand controls like the Ford Model T...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,309  
Acceleration is both positive and negative.
Say what?....Wouldn't the negative be called "deceleration" ??
Don't see anything about slowing in the definition:

That sounds like airplane talk…

A negative rate of climb. :rolleyes:
I can relate to that...like trying to run a boat that barely does 10 knots into a 12 knot current...!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,310  
I got to drive an electric van for a while at my employer. I did not like the feel of letting off the accelerator pedal and instantly feel a braking effect. That is, it would not coast. I actually disliked it intensely.

Tesla can turn the feature off and coast, I believe has a middle range of braking and normal operation.

Kubota RTV kinda the same way, let off pedal fast and you will go through the windshield, kits available to disable.