Free Ford 1210

/ Free Ford 1210 #21  
would love to have something that is 4x4 and possibly with a cab. Just you are talking a lot more than I can afford right now.
Just a hint, based on experience. Unless you are a proficient enough mechanic to know what it might need before you start; it will be less expensive to wait until you can afford what you need rather than trying to fix something which has been setting for a few years and had problems when it was parked. There's a reason why people have been suggesting it would be a good parts machine.

/ Free Ford 1210
Just a hint, based on experience. Unless you are a proficient enough mechanic to know what it might need before you start; it will be less expensive to wait until you can afford what you need rather than trying to fix something which has been setting for a few years and had problems when it was parked. There's a reason why people have been suggesting it would be a good parts machine.

Well I would suggest they speak bluntly. I am thinking I am going to take the effort to at least 'mess around with it' with my friend. Because I would rather mess around with this machine put a little money into it and learn on a free machine rather than one I spent $10,000. My friend also knows his stuff, not to brag. He buys old Briggs engines and bought a shop after the pandemic hit. He has been working on cars ever since. Not that he started there.

What I am trying to say is that him offering to help me is an opportunity to say the least.

/ Free Ford 1210 #23  
Well I would suggest they speak bluntly. I am thinking I am going to take the effort to at least 'mess around with it' with my friend. Because I would rather mess around with this machine put a little money into it and learn on a free machine rather than one I spent $10,000. My friend also knows his stuff, not to brag. He buys old Briggs engines and bought a shop after the pandemic hit. He has been working on cars ever since. Not that he started there.

What I am trying to say is that him offering to help me is an opportunity to say the least.
Good luck then. I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

/ Free Ford 1210
Good luck then. I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

No you didn't. Just saying if someone is hinting at something they are welcome to tell me respectfully. I appreciate any advice I can get. I know the tractor is worth something, even the way it sits. I remember doing research on the engines and stuff back then and found they were sought after machines. Now I personally WILL NEVER understand people putting a lot of money into a machine that is not running. Regardless of what it is. Because we got offers like Sandman's now. He just was not interested, he was convinced he was going to get thousands. The man has done me right over the years but sometimes I just do not get people.

I know if I post the machine the way it sits someone will come and give me good money for a not running machine. Now I am not going to put a number on it because I don't actually know. If Sandman was here right now with $1,000 in hand and I had possession of the tractor I can tell you he is leaving with it.

I also forgot my neighbor has a larger Ford and he said he may be interested in selling it. I never got a number on what he wanted. I do not know about driving a manual tractor with a clutch. I drove a Mazda truck (Ford Ranger) that was a manual for awhile and it was awkward for me because I started on an automatic. I cannot imagine trying to learn on a tractor while trying to lower or raise an implement, worrying about 4x4, then actually using the implement. How does it work if you are trying to lift something with a FEL? If your tractor slows down do you need to put it in neutral to keep it from stalling out? Sorry just never been on a manual tractor.

Last edited:
   / Free Ford 1210 #26  
I've had a Ford 1210 since around '91 and it's a great little tractor. Mine is a hydro with 4WD and it performs like a larger tractor. It handles a lighter weight 5' rear mower fine, and can move a good bit of snow with w 6' rear blade.

The muffler rotted out so I replumbed it to point up with a Cherry Bomb in line and a flapper on top.

Although it wouldn't be my choice as the only tractor, i put new R1 tires on it about a year or so ago, and don't plan on selling it any time soon.

/ Free Ford 1210 #27  
Take it get it running and look for a after market FEL if you need one. Before I moved from Canada to Panama I bought a Kobota B7001 (Grey market B7100) that had been a rice paddy machine in Vietnam before imported into Canada. The importer put on a after market loader and I brought it to Panama, used it a million times. Just make it fit they are pretty standard.

/ Free Ford 1210 #28  
Hey guys for years my neighbor has been interested in getting rid of his Ford tractor. So I do not think it has ran in the better part of a decade. He recently told me that it was free to me if I wanted to have it. I have posted elsewhere and got a lot of mixed feedback. I have never owned a tractor before but have been in the market for one for a long time. I do not think he really has any attachments left for it. Anyway I would love to get some feedback. The neighbor used it when it was running and I believe he told me that it leaking fuel on one of the cylinders or something.

Anyway I think it would be really cool to have if I could find FEL for it. So far I have learned that it may be tough to locate one. I heard that the company that made this Ford was also making New Holland at the time so an equivalent New Holland FEL would work. I have already checked with a couple companies that make after market FEL's but unfortunately they do not make one compatible with this tractor. Anyway I do not even know where to begin looking for an attachment like this because I need a specific one. I have worked on plenty of engines over my life but never had to work on a diesel engine before. Anyway I would love to hear feedback on what you guys think I should do. Even though I heard these engines are reliable I do not know how much money I want to invest into attachments or work though. I will also attack a picture of the tractor as well.
View attachment 768391
I had one for many years. It appears to be 4WD but I can't be sure. They're tough little tractors. I removed the idiot lights on mine, installed gauges, and never pumped fuel until oil pressure had built. I bought a Wood FEL that was a perfect fit, but that was more than 20 years ago. Ended up with a front drive snow blower, power angle plow, and belly mower. The tractor is perfect for those applications. The front drive snow blower connection is incredibly complex and fragile. It's a fine little tractor if it has 4WD and a loader and maybe a set of chains. It will pull the stuff you want pulled and carry the stuff you want carried and do this while YOU are sitting down. No, it shouldn't be used to dig out for an inground pool. (I know, I did that) But IF it is 4WD it is very much more than a glorified riding mower.

• Good Post
Reactions: sld
   / Free Ford 1210 #29  
No you didn't. Just saying if someone is hinting at something they are welcome to tell me respectfully. I appreciate any advice I can get. I know the tractor is worth something, even the way it sits. I remember doing research on the engines and stuff back then and found they were sought after machines. Now I personally WILL NEVER understand people putting a lot of money into a machine that is not running. Regardless of what it is. Because we got offers like Sandman's now. He just was not interested, he was convinced he was going to get thousands. The man has done me right over the years but sometimes I just do not get people.

I know if I post the machine the way it sits someone will come and give me good money for a not running machine. Now I am not going to put a number on it because I don't actually know. If Sandman was here right now with $1,000 in hand and I had possession of the tractor I can tell you he is leaving with it.

I also forgot my neighbor has a larger Ford and he said he may be interested in selling it. I never got a number on what he wanted. I do not know about driving a manual tractor with a clutch. I drove a Mazda truck (Ford Ranger) that was a manual for awhile and it was awkward for me because I started on an automatic. I cannot imagine trying to learn on a tractor while trying to lower or raise an implement, worrying about 4x4, then actually using the implement. How does it work if you are trying to lift something with a FEL? If your tractor slows down do you need to put it in neutral to keep it from stalling out? Sorry just never been on a manual tractor.
Learning to use a manual transmission on a tractor is not at all like using one on a car or pickup. Don't let it scare you. Just put it in the gear you want and go. You don't working about going through the gears.

/ Free Ford 1210 #30  
The shift is only for you to decide how much power or speed is needed. You pick a gear at a standstill, let out the clutch and you are working. No shifting while moving like a car. With a FEL you will need 4WD and real tractor tires, not the lawn tires it is fitted with now. You also would be better suited with a rear mount grass cutter. Belly mowers are a pain to move on and off. The rear mower would also be needed as counterweight if you do go with an FEL. Good luck to you.