Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #81  
I would get the 10 even if you don't need a 7 because it will lift so much easier. I would do the 4 post before I did the concrete work. 10,000 on two posts is 5,000 each post. 10,000 on four posts is 2500 each post. I didn't even need my kalky later for that math. I've used both types of lifts. I like a four post. With the complexity of modern vehicles, you probably won't do engines and transmissions, four post. On a four post you can lay your tools on the runners. Four post, just drive on instead of positioning the arms on a two. Neighbors truck fell off on its side in the shop at the dealership. Never seen one fall off a four. Man near me did complete car restoration, mostly corvettes, six four posts, not a single two.

I would also make some jack stands to put under it. I live alone and work alone, no neighbors. I have to be careful because if something like that falls on me, it will be days or weeks before I'm found. I'm usually behind a locked gate, and park where my vehicle isn't seen. I do that because it's hard to get things done with a half dozen people stopping by. I like people and people love to visit with me and cook out or whatever. But, things have to get done too. Yesterday I opened the gate, was about to leave, neighbor pulling in. He lives 3/4 mile away. Said he needed a rear axle seal on his tractor. He truck patches 80 acres with an old 64 or so international. We have all Ford's, but international is good. Told him I have chicken houses to clean out starting today, but I'm only moving slats, move them again Wednesday. Told him I'm fixing his brakes while I have it. He seemed to like that idea.

Chicken pics yesterday. The roosters are kept between 17 to 19 pounds. Folks these are super chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_172740.jpg
    IMG_20221027_172740.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20221027_151338.jpg
    IMG_20221027_151338.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
   / Car lift in garage #82  
I have a Forward 12K 4 post with two air jacks. My three Sons each have 9K 2 post.

For them they prefer the 2 post. They do a larger variety of work than I do. But they still sometimes come and use my 4 post.

For me I prefer the 4 post. So much easier to load/unload. Great work bench for parts and tools. If cramped for space I can park on it, raise max height, and park another vehicle under it.

But the best part is that it makes a great Buffet table for family gatherings.

View attachment 653302

Thanks @ovrszd you gave me my lift Justification. "Hey honey, You know that family gathering we have coming up, we're going to need some more table space, it will just cost $4k but we will have it for years!" 😆

/ Car lift in garage #83  
I would get the 10 even if you don't need a 7 because it will lift so much easier. I would do the 4 post before I did the concrete work. 10,000 on two posts is 5,000 each post. 10,000 on four posts is 2500 each post. I didn't even need my kalky later for that math. I've used both types of lifts. I like a four post. With the complexity of modern vehicles, you probably won't do engines and transmissions, four post. On a four post you can lay your tools on the runners. Four post, just drive on instead of positioning the arms on a two. Neighbors truck fell off on its side in the shop at the dealership. Never seen one fall off a four. Man near me did complete car restoration, mostly corvettes, six four posts, not a single two.

I would also make some jack stands to put under it. I live alone and work alone, no neighbors. I have to be careful because if something like that falls on me, it will be days or weeks before I'm found. I'm usually behind a locked gate, and park where my vehicle isn't seen. I do that because it's hard to get things done with a half dozen people stopping by. I like people and people love to visit with me and cook out or whatever. But, things have to get done too. Yesterday I opened the gate, was about to leave, neighbor pulling in. He lives 3/4 mile away. Said he needed a rear axle seal on his tractor. He truck patches 80 acres with an old 64 or so international. We have all Ford's, but international is good. Told him I have chicken houses to clean out starting today, but I'm only moving slats, move them again Wednesday. Told him I'm fixing his brakes while I have it. He seemed to like that idea.

Chicken pics yesterday. The roosters are kept between 17 to 19 pounds. Folks these are super chickens.

Got me curious, roosters 19lb. what kind of chickens are these? That's turkey size.

/ Car lift in garage #84  
Got me curious, roosters 19lb. what kind of chickens are these? That's turkey size.
Those are Cobb. I guess the hens are 10 pounds or so. If they were any bigger, would have to get bigger nests. I'm 6' and some of them roosters, when they stretch out, flare the neck feathers, almost up to my pants pocket. All of them aren't that big, but a few are. I'd say 10 % are whoppers. Service man weighs 100 at a time and feed is adjusted accordingly. He usually weighs 10 but once a month he does 100.

/ Car lift in garage #85  
Mmm I drilled right through the rebar on a bolt hole when I put my Bendpak in. One hole did have a bunch of silver filings mixed with the concrete dust.

Pretty sure the SDS carbide hammer drills barely notice it..?.

That said, I have always wondered if that weakened that spot
IDK. he installs these things in many auto dealerships around here.
I just did what the installer asked.
I wouldn't think a concrete bit would do well against rebar.

/ Car lift in garage #86  
Ok, I think this is going to be the lift I buy for a couple reasons. 1. I want to be able to move it between my garage and my MILs barn. 2. I don't want to put a permanent lift in her barn and I don't have room for a permanent 2 or 4 post lift in my garage. This however is a compromise and I'm staying under $3k.

Anyone have any experience with these?

/ Car lift in garage #87  
Ok, I think this is going to be the lift I buy for a couple reasons. 1. I want to be able to move it between my garage and my MILs barn. 2. I don't want to put a permanent lift in her barn and I don't have room for a permanent 2 or 4 post lift in my garage. This however is a compromise and I'm staying under $3k.

I would say it depends on your vehicles and garage floors, sedans it would be nice for, my 4 door pickup I'd be a bit leary of it from the overhang length and the width effecting stability.
If it works for you great it's definitely better then nothing.
I would go with a four post that was portable, more stability and capacity.
That said that little lift would be nice for small vehicles and doing tire work or brake and suspension work.

/ Car lift in garage #88  
The heaviest truck it will have on it is my son's 1988 F150 reg. cab which is about 4200lb. My truck is a reg. cab old Tundra which is around 4k lbs. I went ahead and ordered it tonight. I read a lot of good reviews. It will primarily be used on 6 or 8" concrete at my MIL's barn. My garage is probably four inch but it will never have a truck on it in my garage. Only cars which are sub 3600lbs.

I'm also going to rig something up to drive mowers on it so I can maintain them easier. I'm pretty tall and big and getting up off the floor, and under things is enough to make me not want to do my own work. The plan is, with this, I will start working on my own cars again. Saving me money and paying for it in about 5 years or less. I used to do a lot of my own routine maintenance. In fact, the only thing routine that I didn't do was transmission fluid. Everything else I used to do.

Now I may even do things like shocks and struts.

/ Car lift in garage #89  

You might want to think about a 1/4" steel plate to go under it to save wear and tear on the concrete. Or not.

Please let us know what you think after you have had it awhile.

All the best,

Peter

/ Car lift in garage #90  
Those are Cobb. I guess the hens are 10 pounds or so. If they were any bigger, would have to get bigger nests. I'm 6' and some of them roosters, when they stretch out, flare the neck feathers, almost up to my pants pocket. All of them aren't that big, but a few are. I'd say 10 % are whoppers. Service man weighs 100 at a time and feed is adjusted accordingly. He usually weighs 10 but once a month he does 100.
I agree! I think I'd go into their cage armed with at least a 12ga.