Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,081  

From the Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association
One huge wave breaks at the Frankfort North Breakwater Light, MI on Lake Michigan - Photo by Roger Chase at Photographic Reverie
View attachment 771308
That looks surreal. What an amazing framed print that would make.
I was so lucky as a kid traveling all over North America with grandparents and lighthouses were always fascinating. I remember one in Canada, maybe this one, every time we would set up airstream trailer later motor homes in a campground and I would explore. This lighthouse I walked across a field going to it, then going back field was wet! Soon water waist deep then had to swim back! Tide came in that fast.
2022_11_29_19.56.00.jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,082  
Anyone ever boat or travel by this lighthouse, it's pretty cool to see In person I believe during WW2 it was used for live fire training exercises on lake Michigan, I also believe it was on a history channel program on abandoned stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221129-202715.png
    Screenshot_20221129-202715.png
    868.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20221129-202747.png
    Screenshot_20221129-202747.png
    321.5 KB · Views: 49
   / Great lake boats, a good video
#1,083  
   / Great lake boats, a good video #1,084  
Lake Superior has no boats on it today, exception in a CSL boat on the north shore who is down-bound. Its a west wind so they can do that. Funny you can be heading NE and still be down-bound :ROFLMAO: ....
Reminds me of working at the airport on a very windy day and watching an old guy take a Cub off, fly backwards, and land behind where he took off. He said he enjoyed it immensely.

I can only wonder how a big boat like those with a top speed of 16 would do against a 35MPH crosswind.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,085  
Those ships have so much windage.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,087  
That looks surreal. What an amazing framed print that would make.
I was so lucky as a kid traveling all over North America with grandparents and lighthouses were always fascinating. I remember one in Canada, maybe this one, every time we would set up airstream trailer later motor homes in a campground and I would explore. This lighthouse I walked across a field going to it, then going back field was wet! Soon water waist deep then had to swim back! Tide came in that fast.View attachment 772490
I'm basically a loner and I'd like to be a light keeper. Give me a good book and a warm fire and I'm quite content.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,088  
They do??? They have a pretty low footprint. Loaded I would imagine they would be fine except for excessive fuel usage and diesel (or bunker oil) ain't cheap today.
Fair point, I' wouldn't normally dispute that but I've seen loaded GL freighters fighting near gales by Jones island where the Milwaukee and KK river meet keeping in mind they were only going fast enough to maintain steerage even equipped with thrusters, they literally had to make a 90 degree turn in the channel and the current of the rivers probably played some part.

#1,089  
Quite the picture of the Algoma Navigator unloading salt in Duluth MN. Ya, the great lake freighters really do a high volume of work around these great lakes.
318735439_528337255999789_527019247842100930_n.jpg

#1,090  
Nice Video of the Mark Barker in Duluth MN at Night.
-----------------------------------------------------
1,802 views Dec 11, 2022
Here is the Mark W. Barker, making her third-ever visit to Duluth, Minnesota before sunrise on November 14, 2022. She was visiting to load taconite pellets at the Canadian National dock in West Duluth, which she was scheduled to deliver to Cleveland, Ohio. We first see her enter the Duluth shipping canal in almost complete darkness of night. As she makes her way through the canal, she sounds a wakeup captain's salute for the residents of Duluth... with the Aerial Lift Bridge joining in the fun shortly afterwards. After watching the Mark W. Barker pass under the Aerial Lift Bridge and cross the outer harbor, I then met up with her again at Rice's Point. We see her pass by the Federal Katsura unloading bulk cement at the CRH dock before she passes under the John A. Blatnik bridge and proceeds off across the St. Louis River Bay on her way to the CN. The final shot of the video shows what appears to an approaching "fog" beyond the Mark W. Barker, but in reality it was an approaching snow storm quickly making its way into Duluth. By the time I walked back to my car, the snow was falling steadily across Duluth. The 639-foot Mark W. Barker was constructed in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin and launched in the Spring of 2022, making her the first newly-built American lake freighter since 1983. She made her first sea trials under her own power on July 1, 2022. She is the first "River Class" freighter, meaning she is designed to navigate rivers such as the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland. She is powered by two 8,000 horsepower, 16-cylinder EMD diesel engines which drive a single 18-foot, four-blade, controllable-pitch propeller. She has 1,000-hp Kongsberg bow and stern thrusters, which help her navigate tight waterways without the need for tugboat assistance. Her hull has been optimized for efficiency and all systems have been designed to ensure low energy consumption. A Kongsberg high-lift rudder optimizes the wake through the propeller. Her cargo hold has capacity for 26,000 tons and she has a front-mounted self-unloading boom. She has five hydraulically controlled stackable MacGregor hatches, which are more commonly seen on ocean-going ships. She also has a flat-bottomed cargo hold, which means can carry both bulk cargo including salt, iron ore, and limestone, but can also carry package or project cargo, such as wind turbine blades. The Mark W. Barker is named after the current president of Interlake Steamship Company. He is also the son of James and Kaye Barker, who also have vessels named after them.