Dealer backing out of deal

/ Dealer backing out of deal #1  

smokewagon

Tractor
New Holland TC30
Hypothetically.

Let's say I called a dealer and got a price quote on a tractor on a Friday. Came by the dealership the next morning, took the tractor for a spin, negotiated the addition of a $1000 feature, agreed on a price, shook hands, and made a deposit. Got a handwritten receipt as it was late in the morning with the rest of the paperwork to follow on Monday. Monday morning I get a call saying there'd been a mistake, dealer misread the factory discount offer, and the price has gone up signficantly. Otherwise come get my deposit.

Even gave me a hat! Hypothetically.

How would you feel about that one?

Last edited:
   / Dealer backing out of deal #3  
Hypothetically.

Let's say I called a dealer and got a price quote on a tractor on a Friday. Came by the dealership the next morning, took the tractor for a spin, negotiated the addition of a $1000 feature, agreed on a price, shook hands, and made a deposit. Got a handwritten receipt as it was late in the morning with the rest of the paperwork to follow on Monday. Monday morning I get a call saying there'd been a mistake, dealer misread the factory discount offer, and the price has gone up signficantly. Otherwise come get my deposit.

That dealer just lost my trust, and possibly, my business.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #4  
Hypothetically.

I would get my deposit back.
Adopting car lot sales tactics will likely burn a tractor dealer in the long run.
You shook hands and made a deposit. That mans word is not worth anything.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #5  
Hypothetically.

How would you feel about that one
Do you have the factory discount offer in front of you? Did his explanation make sense? If he made a legitimate mistake, sure, I guess I wouldn't make him eat a $5k loss... If he's just trying to jack the price $5k, maybe lean on him a bit, maybe drop in a lawyers office and see what the options are? Although you probably don't want to deal with him in the future but if you have another dealer for the tractor close by....

/ Dealer backing out of deal #7  
If the call on Monday came from the sales person I would ask to speak to the manager/owner to give them a chance to make it right. If that doesn't work out take your money and run.

/ Dealer backing out of deal
If the call on Monday came from the sales person I would ask to speak to the manager/owner to give them a chance to make it right. If that doesn't work out take your money and run.

That's where I'm at.

Believe it's an honest mistake, I see where they mixed up the model numbers. Not a $5k difference or even close but I'm already stretching. Looks like I have a binding contract but seems to me the biggest plus to buying new is a good relationship with the dealer, can't imagine it's worth it to go to the mat.

Just can't imagine making a mistake like that and then turning it back on the customer.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #9  
40 years in the car business now retired. I made mistakes like that every now and then. If it was $1000.00 or less I never said a word and delivered the vehicle as agreed. If they had a trade tried to make it up there, if not just ate it and hoped for a referral and some service business. Old fashioned today I know but a deals a deal.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #10  
Nobody is perfect. He was upfront and honest with you as soon as he discovered the error.

Let it go, laugh with him about it and make a new friend. It will probably pay off the next time you ask him for a price on a high dollar item.