TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,871  
I just splurged and upgraded my older Pulsar Trail XQ50 by buying a Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 Pro (640 x 480) resolution. I also have the Pulsar Merger LRF XP50 thermal bino's, which are awesome! It should be the perfect combination. I have an unused LaRue SPR104 30mm mount that I hope I can use. I say "hope" because I plan to mount/use it primarily on my Tikka T3x 6.5CM that has a rail and also swap to/from an AR-308 and AR-15. I'm hoping the cantilever mount will work OK on the Tikka.

If it arrives this week, then I'll probably head to camp this weekend and smack some hogs and yotes.
I tried it tonight and the forward cantilever is a bit too much for the bolt gun. I had to mount it fully rearward on the rail and slide the scope pretty far back in the rings. I ordered an ADM 1330 mount tonight that has no forward cantilever. I think this mount will still work with the AR-10, as it's rail is fairly long.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,872  
I tried it tonight and the forward cantilever is a bit too much for the bolt gun. I had to mount it fully rearward on the rail and slide the scope pretty far back in the rings. I ordered an ADM 1330 mount tonight that has no forward cantilever. I think this mount will still work with the AR-10, as it's rail is fairly long.

Picture please!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,873  
Picture please!
I found another issue too, the bolt handle hits the lever. Both of these problems will be resolved with the ADM 1330 non-cantilever mount I think.

I know the scope is mounted really high for a bolt gun and not what most (including me) are used to using/seeing. It's just one of the issues that I'll have to live with if I want to use this type of mount to make it dual function between a bolt and an AR.

The height really isn't an issue for me as I still get a natural "weld" with my jaw, rather than cheek bone. A thermal is a little different in the fact you're actually looking at a "TV screen" where parallax isn't an issue, opposed to optical glass where slight eye alignment makes a huge difference.

I'm still playing around with what I might like for the best setup. I'll mess around with the ADM and see if I like how the setup works. If I don't like it, I'll say screw it and go traditional lightweight rings without a rail on the Tikka, permanently mounting the thermal to the Tikka as a dedicated night rig.

Unless someone has some other ideas.

IMG_2354.JPG

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,874  
No one likes someone who can’t commit.

Make sure you post some pictures when you pick it up.
So, I went to get one today, and both had sold. Was going to give either that or 2 all terrain tires to 17yo son for his birthday. Asked wife, and she said definitely the tires; asked son, and he said definitely the gun "I can buy my own tires". Visited two places that might have had one, both out of stock, called 3rd place, same story.

Lesson of it all; always buy the gun when you first think about it.
View attachment 789117

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,875  
I found another issue too, the bolt handle hits the lever. Both of these problems will be resolved with the ADM 1330 non-cantilever mount I think.

I know the scope is mounted really high for a bolt gun and not what most (including me) are used to using/seeing. It's just one of the issues that I'll have to live with if I want to use this type of mount to make it dual function between a bolt and an AR.

The height really isn't an issue for me as I still get a natural "weld" with my jaw, rather than cheek bone. A thermal is a little different in the fact you're actually looking at a "TV screen" where parallax isn't an issue, opposed to optical glass where slight eye alignment makes a huge difference.

I'm still playing around with what I might like for the best setup. I'll mess around with the ADM and see if I like how the setup works. If I don't like it, I'll say screw it and go traditional lightweight rings without a rail on the Tikka, permanently mounting the thermal to the Tikka as a dedicated night rig.

Unless someone has some other ideas.

View attachment 788802
Someone put your bolt on the wrong side!

How much time have you put on the Pulsar? My FIL is wanting one.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,876  
Someone put your bolt on the wrong side!

How much time have you put on the Pulsar? My FIL is wanting one.
I know, I know. I'm left eye dominant. Which has probably saved me a ton of money over the years, otherwise I'd probably own one of everything. ;)

I haven't had any hunting time with the newest Thermion 2 XP50 Pro but I can compare it to an older Trail XQ50 based on just viewing my pasture at night. I used/own 3 other Pulsar products. A Trail XQ50 (which this is replacing), a XM30 monocular and a new set of Merger LRF XP50 bino's (which replaced the mono). I've had zero issues with any of the Pulsar products. I've also heard they have good customer service. Pulsar USA is in Mansfield, TX.

Compared to my older Pulsar Trail XQ50:
Looking through the Thermion, the resolution is superb with a good field of view, which is a huge upgrade from the Trail XQ50. Whatever you buy, get something with the 640 x 480 resolution (any of the Pulsar XP models). I also like the new reticle choices and the fact they have different colors for the reticles. The controls are simpler to use with 3 simple buttons for zoom, record, on/off/refresh and then a button/knob to access/scroll the menu. The Trail could get confusing or easily put into some mode you didn't want, with the 4 buttons all in a row, especially for new or unfamiliar users. I also like the battery options (same batteries that the Merger bino's use.)

I actually looked at the "alpha" thermals, Trijicon and N-Vision. They're image clarity and resolution is incredible, but they're also pretty basic units (which has it's advantages too). One of the features I've always liked with the Pulsar's is they can wifi to your phone, so someone with you can watch/record on your phone. N-Vision will stream but Trijicon won't. I ultimately decided to stick with what I know and familiar with, Pulsar.

I'm working on mounting it right now. I have the ADM mount coming, but I think I'll send it back and stick with mounting the Thermion to the Tikka as a dedicated setup. The Tikka in 6.5CM had been a really good compromise for hunting and allows me to take everything from coons, pigs, coyotes etc. and with the Deadair Nomad 30ti suppressor, it's been perfect. My Tikka has a Mountain Tactical rail that has a recoil pin, making it an extremely secure rail. This morning I went to Cabela's and bought some Vortex Precision 30mm medium rings. They were crazy expensive, but I had a gift certificate and they're probably the stoutest set of aluminum rings I've ever handled and were still lightweight. The mounting and ring screws are really big with a ton of thread engagement. Considering the Thermion is something like 32 ounces, I figure overkill on strength/mounting is in order. I'll probably keep the Trail and use it for swapping between other guns. It's mount is better suited for that anyway.

I'll post a picture of the Tikka/Thermion when I get it all mounted.

Edit:
Here's a photo of a pigs worst nightmare.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,877  
I know, I know. I'm left eye dominant. Which has probably saved me a ton of money over the years, otherwise I'd probably own one of everything. ;)

I haven't had any hunting time with the newest Thermion 2 XP50 Pro but I can compare it to an older Trail XQ50 based on just viewing my pasture at night. I used/own 3 other Pulsar products. A Trail XQ50 (which this is replacing), a XM30 monocular and a new set of Merger LRF XP50 bino's (which replaced the mono). I've had zero issues with any of the Pulsar products. I've also heard they have good customer service. Pulsar USA is in Mansfield, TX.

Compared to my older Pulsar Trail XQ50:
Looking through the Thermion, the resolution is superb with a good field of view, which is a huge upgrade from the Trail XQ50. Whatever you buy, get something with the 640 x 480 resolution (any of the Pulsar XP models). I also like the new reticle choices and the fact they have different colors for the reticles. The controls are simpler to use with 3 simple buttons for zoom, record, on/off/refresh and then a button/knob to access/scroll the menu. The Trail could get confusing or easily put into some mode you didn't want, with the 4 buttons all in a row, especially for new or unfamiliar users. I also like the battery options (same batteries that the Merger bino's use.)

I actually looked at the "alpha" thermals, Trijicon and N-Vision. They're image clarity and resolution is incredible, but they're also pretty basic units (which has it's advantages too). One of the features I've always liked with the Pulsar's is they can wifi to your phone, so someone with you can watch/record on your phone. N-Vision will stream but Trijicon won't. I ultimately decided to stick with what I know and familiar with, Pulsar.

I'm working on mounting it right now. I have the ADM mount coming, but I think I'll send it back and stick with mounting the Thermion to the Tikka as a dedicated setup. The Tikka in 6.5CM had been a really good compromise for hunting and allows me to take everything from coons, pigs, coyotes etc. and with the Deadair Nomad 30ti suppressor, it's been perfect. My Tikka has a Mountain Tactical rail that has a recoil pin, making it an extremely secure rail. This morning I went to Cabela's and bought some Vortex Precision 30mm medium rings. They were crazy expensive, but I had a gift certificate and they're probably the stoutest set of aluminum rings I've ever handled and were still lightweight. The mounting and ring screws are really big with a ton of thread engagement. Considering the Thermion is something like 32 ounces, I figure overkill on strength/mounting is in order. I'll probably keep the Trail and use it for swapping between other guns. It's mount is better suited for that anyway.

I'll post a picture of the Tikka/Thermion when I get it all mounted.

Edit:
Here's a photo of a pigs worst nightmare.
I broke in the new thermal and gadoinked a medium sized boar last night.
85 yds, bang flop

It was pretty cool, I had my wife sitting in the blind right next to me, watching it stream on my iphone. Of course both of us forgot to hit the record button.
gadoinked boar.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,879  
So, I went to get one today, and both had sold. Was going to give either that or 2 all terrain tires to 17yo son for his birthday. Asked wife, and she said definitely the tires; asked son, and he said definitely the gun "I can buy my own tires". Visited two places that might have had one, both out of stock, called 3rd place, same story.

Lesson of it all; always buy the gun when you first think about it.
View attachment 789117
Yep. Local gun store had a used polished finish ss Taurus 44mag 7.5 in (I believe) for $725. I kept arguing with myself that 725 is too much for a Taurus but the market now is what it is. It's gone now along with it's 4" satin finish little brother.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,880  
Yep. Local gun store had a used polished finish ss Taurus 44mag 7.5 in (I believe) for $725. I kept arguing with myself that 725 is too much for a Taurus but the market now is what it is. It's gone now along with it's 4" satin finish little brother.
Yes, seems way high for a Taurus.. You did good not buying it. Where are you located?