Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,051  
What size choker chains have guys been using on the 3.5 ton logging winches

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,052  
I have two 1/4 inch and several 5/16ths. I believe the smaller chains may be higher grade steel, they came with my winch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,053  
I use 5/16" choker chains with my 7700# (3.5 metric tons) logging winch. THe 1/4" chain just seems too lightweight to me, and 3/8" is overkill.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,054  
To all you back East oak guys. I have a 1950 rental that has a short board oak floor. I had the floor refinished and the floor contractor said I had a mix of red oak and white oak. He pointed to the darker pieces and said that they were white oak and the lighter pieces were red oak. I would have thought the opposite. Or maybe I have a color blind floor guy?
IMG_2670.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,055  
To all you back East oak guys. I have a 1950 rental that has a short board oak floor. I had the floor refinished and the floor contractor said I had a mix of red oak and white oak. He pointed to the darker pieces and said that they were white oak and the lighter pieces were red oak. I would have thought the opposite. Or maybe I have a color blind floor guy?
View attachment 802505
No matter what color you *try* to stain red oak, it will always have a reddish hue to it. White oak is like a blank canvas and can be stained any color you want, even black. Now since these are all shorts, I guess it's possible that they milled every part of the tree and got some funky dark pieces mixed in, and I have seen a few dark pieces of oak, but never heard of white colored red oak.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,056  

5/16" here too. 5/16" chain and 3/8" hooks and sliders. Makes hooking up a little easier and you have the option for 3/8" chain.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,057  
View attachment 802505

That's an interesting floor goe. I'm not a wood worker so can't help with the ID but if someone asked me I wouldn't say oak ????????

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,058  
I use 5/16" choker chains with my 7700# (3.5 metric tons) logging winch. THe 1/4" chain just seems too lightweight to me, and 3/8" is overkill.
I understand what you are saying. I have one of the first chains I made up from 5/16 inch chain from "Mardens" discount store... it was low grade and the links look like pretzels. The 1/4 chain I have came with my winch, and is grade 70.

Someone used to sell chains with loops rather than the modified "C" hook. They were more of a pain to hook up yet seemed to hold smaller wood better.
I don't have any and have been unable to find them. I do have some loops from my father's barn which might work, but I am not sure I trust them. Bending is one thing yet if they turn out to be brittle that may send steel flying.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,060  
I understand what you are saying. I have one of the first chains I made up from 5/16 inch chain from "Mardens" discount store... it was low grade and the links look like pretzels. The 1/4 chain I have came with my winch, and is grade 70.

My 5/16 chokers are all grade 70.

I'm sure the 1/4" grade 70 chain chokers would be fine for most of what I deal with her in Vermont. (I think someone mentioned a 1/4" grade 100 as well?) They just feel impossibly light to me... probably because every other chain I deal with is either 5/16" or 3/8"