/ 5420 not turning over. #1  

cloudview

Tractor
5420N
JD 5420 Not turning over

Hello all

Basically:

Battery is good.
There's power coming to and from the ignition terminal on the ignition switch. But, no power making it through to the solenoid.
No fuses blown
PTO indicator is off (which to me means the switch is ok, right?)
Also, doesn't seem to be any power making it to the neutral switch, either.

I can't find a wiring diagram for this online. I'm assuming there's a few relays and safety switches that could be the problem, but without a wiring diagram....

Any body know what the issue could be? Before I start manually tracing wires.

Thanks
Jon

/ 5420 not turning over. #2  
I have attached a wiring diagram for the 5X10 tractors. I think it should be close to your tractors wiring.

For the 5X10 the safety system is PTO in neutral and transmission in neutral or park. Components that could be bad are start relay and start bypass relay.

Attachments

• 5210wiring.jpg
    5210wiring.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 3,892
   / 5420 not turning over. #4  
This recently happened to my 5105. Turned out to be mice had chewed some wires under the dash.

/ 5420 not turning over. #5  
I'm having nrea the same problem with my 5420. I've checked all the fuses they're good, the safety switches checked out and I've found no wires damaged.
Ive gotta be missing something simple if ya can give me any advice I sure appreciate it

/ 5420 not turning over.
Well, mine turned out to be the PTO safety switch. It's limit switch must have two positions. The first operates the indicator light, and the second closes the ignition circuit. Dirt had packed into the switch, and while the indicator light was coming on and off, it wasn't actually closing far enough to complete the ignition circuit.

I went off the wiring diagram above. I checked the circuit at the Neutral safety switch first. I unplugged it and tested for power going into the switch. According to that wiring diagram, I believe, the neutral switch comes after the PTO switch in the series of ignition safeties.

When I didn't have power at the neutral switch, I took the cover off under the seat, and sprayed that switch down with a hose. Then it worked.

If there's power there. Perhaps your ignition relay is bad.

Other than that, I can't help you much more than, to say follow the wiring diagram.