L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #1  

pull do

Posted this same message on another forum,, no help yet maybe somebody here can help out:thumbsup:
---------------------------------------

OK,, JD, brain trust,,,, question and a favor,, this mower is being brought back from the dead, , it was a victim of hurricane Ike,, friend of mine gave it to me, just a little TLC to bring it back so far, totally stripped it, including motor tear down,, everything pretty straight forward, but what is bad is the wiring harness, the main one from the dash to the motor,,, just a couple of connectors where the wires corroded and fell out from being flooded with salt water.

I need a picture of the harness showing the different colors of the wires and which connector they go to,,, ign. switch wires are fine,,, it's just the lower level wires where they got corroded and fell out, so I don't know which connector they go into ,,, so if somebody has a yr. model close to this one, could you snap a pic and post it, I can rebuild it.

Thanks,
Paul

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #2  
Posted this same message on another forum,, no help yet maybe somebody here can help out:thumbsup:
---------------------------------------

OK,, JD, brain trust,,,, question and a favor,, this mower is being brought back from the dead, , it was a victim of hurricane Ike,, friend of mine gave it to me, just a little TLC to bring it back so far, totally stripped it, including motor tear down,, everything pretty straight forward, but what is bad is the wiring harness, the main one from the dash to the motor,,, just a couple of connectors where the wires corroded and fell out from being flooded with salt water.

I need a picture of the harness showing the different colors of the wires and which connector they go to,,, ign. switch wires are fine,,, it's just the lower level wires where they got corroded and fell out, so I don't know which connector they go into ,,, so if somebody has a yr. model close to this one, could you snap a pic and post it, I can rebuild it.

Thanks,
Paul

:welcome: to TBN! I happen to have an L118. Mine has the 22hp Briggs motor in it. So for wiring harness, you saying right above the battery? I can snap a picture when I get home tonight. I think my L118 is a 2005 or 2006 model, hopefully it is all the same, I cant imagine it would vary to much.

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp
:welcome: to TBN! I happen to have an L118. Mine has the 22hp Briggs motor in it. So for wiring harness, you saying right above the battery? I can snap a picture when I get home tonight. I think my L118 is a 2005 or 2006 model, hopefully it is all the same, I cant imagine it would vary to much.

Thanks for the "howdy" and reply,,,,,

it appears to have been underwater from just above the battery down,,, so the wiring to the ign. switch is fine, looks like the selonoid is toast, maybe not, but the secondary wiring from there down the 18 & 20 ga.wire that runs from the 20 amp fuse to the various places and plugs is where some of the problem is. Some of the wires fell out of the white plastic plugs in the harness and are hanging loose, some of these are multi- wire plugs and I just need to see which color wire goes in which hole in the back of the plugs, I have new "pins" to put back on the wires , male and female to re do all the plugs,

Thanks for the help bud. :thumbsup:
Paul

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #4  
Here are some pictures of the wiring. :thumbsup: With my L118 it seems like all the wiring was bundled together in a mess, it was zip tied by the original owner. The switch for mowing in revers is disconnected on my L118 since the last owner didn't want to push a button every time he had to back up since he had 2 acres of lawn to mow. I can say that my L118 has been a great little lawn mower, it has 350 hours on it and runs like new. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 2,998
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    900.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    923.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    895.1 KB · Views: 773
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 2,704
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    891.2 KB · Views: 514
   / L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #5  
Heres a few more pictures. :) Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    895.1 KB · Views: 447
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    897.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 4,498
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    917 KB · Views: 5,681
   / L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #6  
Here is the wiring diagram for the L120. It should be pretty similar except the L112 had an electric PTO and the L118 has a manual lever PTO. View image: GSDshow 2010

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp
Thanks bud,, I'll look at these along with the schematic and compare,, the one that "jumps" out at me is the wire on the right bottom of the 20 amp fuse holder, mine is gone,, the two on the left bottom are still there, if you get a chance, can you look and see where the wire on the right goes to?

Just got my deck back, I stripped it and had it painted down the road from me at an industrial paint yard,,, I've had other decks painted by them and they hold up well to the corrosive salt water air down here on the coast,,, the deck actually looked "new" but they don't put a good primer on from the factory,,, put new bearings in the spindles,, just have to many irons in the fire right now to really tear into it whole hog,

Going outside now to build/ weld up my firewood storage rack for barbecue wood,,, since I weld for a living, this should come pretty easy for me, :laughing:,, you have any questions about welding, don't hesitate to ask,,

Thanks a bunch for your time:thumbsup:
Paul

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp
Thanks bud,, I'll look at these along with the schematic and compare,, the one that "jumps" out at me is the wire on the right bottom of the 20 amp fuse holder, mine is gone,, the two on the left bottom are still there, if you get a chance, can you look and see where the wire on the right goes to?Just got my deck back, I stripped it and had it painted down the road from me at an industrial paint yard,,, I've had other decks painted by them and they hold up well to the corrosive salt water air down here on the coast,,, the deck actually looked "new" but they don't put a good primer on from the factory,,, put new bearings in the spindles,, just have to many irons in the fire right now to really tear into it whole hog,

Going outside now to build/ weld up my firewood storage rack for barbecue wood,,, since I weld for a living, this should come pretty easy for me, :laughing:,, you have any questions about welding, don't hesitate to ask,,

Thanks a bunch for your time:thumbsup:
Paul

Duh!!!!!! Let me take my head out of behind,,, I see it now in one of the pics you posted.

Where'd you find the wiring schematic at,, my internet skills are lacking?
Thanks again..

/ L 118, 2004 yr, 20 hp #9  
My L-130's wiring looks very similar to the pictures Jacob posted, and I bought mine new.

To keep the cost down, the wires don't get protected and tied down as nicely as a more expensive rig's will.