Glow plugs on 4110

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #11  
I will do that.

So what is the click of the relay that you hear after a few seconds of the key being on, and why would the operator manual tell you that when the key is turned on, wait a few seconds for the glow plug relay to click, then start? ( see my previous post and look at #10)

There is a significant drain on the battery until I hear the click on my 4110. It has to be the glow plugs as there is nothing else that would put a pull on the battery like that. You can see it in the lights on the dash even.....

I'm sorry Kenny, but not energizing the glow plug relay until the key is on start makes zero sense.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #12  
The glow plugs are only active when the key is in the START position...you can verify that with a test light.

Kenny, I respectfully disagree with you. We tested ours and the glow plugs are active for a few seconds when you turn the key to the ON position. You can hear the click from the relay as they turn off. We did not test if they are also on when the key is in the start position, and that might be true also.

If you are not getting a click after a few seconds when you have the key in the ON position, you have something wrong.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #13  
I do not have time to check mine right now...but read the attached (I hope) from the FSM:

Attachments

• glow plugs.JPG
    glow plugs.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 464
   / Glow plugs on 4110 #14  
Two more pages:

Attachments

• glow plugs1.JPG
    glow plugs1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 3,677
  • glow plugs2.JPG
    glow plugs2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 674
   / Glow plugs on 4110 #15  
I just leave my 2210 in gear and turn the key. Goes for 3 or 4 seconds and you hear a click, maybe do this twice (now to my untrained knowledge I think the Plugs are heated) Put it in neutral and turn the key and it starts right up with less smoke. Takes a little more in the winter.

I only need to do this in the dead of winter. With the glow plugs preheated it kicks right over rather than cranking for a bit.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #16  
I do not have time to check mine right now...but read the attached (I hope) from the FSM:

OK, that makes sense. That is giving you an extra bump of the glow plugs in the winter. The new machines will do the same thing by pushing the key in and holding it while you turn it. I tested it last night and it works on my machine also.

What does not make sense is that you guys have to do this in the summer when the normal operation activates the glow plugs before you start the engine. Are your glow plugs going bad? Is your grounds ok?

/ Glow plugs on 4110
The glow plugs do nothing in the on position. It has to be turned to start and held. I have listened intently and there is no relay click. This is strictly a manual operation. I'm going to check with Deere to see if they have any additional information.
By the way.... 4-6 seconds on glow will allow the engine to start smokeless in the first turn. At least I know they work. The parts cat. confirmed there are 3 glow plugs.... not a heat chamber as I was once informed.

/ Glow plugs on 4110
NMU 98;

Did you read the part on the ignition switch in the manual where it states " you will also hear the fuel shut off selenoid engage with a click " Could this possibly be the sound your hearing ?
I have turned the key from off to on and waited 4 seconds and it doesn't do a thing for a fast start. Engaging the start section forcing the key to the right gets the program under way. It is clear to me the glow starts in the start position of the ignition key.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #19  
I was wrong about the glow plug light. Its the battery and oil pressure lights I see. I wait for the click, that is fairly loud. Even my dad can hear it:D...

Here is from the manual... see #10

8. Turn ignition key switch to the ON position.

9. Check indicator lamps:

Park brake light will glow and flash if park brake is locked.

Engine oil pressure light will glow.

Alternator/battery charging light will glow.

10. Allow the glow plugs to preheat the engine. After approximately three seconds listen for a click. Engine is now ready to start.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not operate starter more than 20 seconds. If engine does not start, wait 2 minutes before trying again or starter may be damaged. If engine does not start after four tries, refer to the Troubleshooting section.

11. Turn key switch to START position. Release key when engine starts.

12. Check indicator lights:

Engine oil pressure light should go out within 5 seconds.

We checked with a multi meter last night, and our 4110 starts the glow plugs as the manual states, and the click happens at the same time that the plugs turn off. This is a pretty loud click. They also work the way you describe.

I don't know what to say..... We do not have an issue starting ours, even in the winter, and it is our main snow blower.......

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #20  
I've had a 4100 and now a 4110. The 4100 glow plugs worked by just turning the key. The 4110 has to have the trans in gear and hold the key to the start position. An odd setup I know but thats the way it is. And by the way it starts like a charm winter and summer.