Starting issues with john deere 2040

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #1  

kshunter

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 2040 kubota b3030
Hey guys, ive tried to get help and all the things im doing just arent getting this tractor to turn over. A little history- its been sitting outside and hasnt been started in a year. I have the keys and stuff, but all of the wires from the back of the ignition are unplugged (no idea how that happened). The guy who used to operate it for us a few years ago always hotwired it to get it started up, even before all the wires became unplugged. By hotwiring it, i put a screwdriver on 2 different pieces of the starter, and all it does is spark? I know the starter is good though because ive taken it to the shop and it was working fine. I have no idea what else to do? thanks

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #2  
Among the many problems, maybe the battery just doesn't have any ooomph left. Or the engine is siezed up for one reason or another.

But sounds like it is time to do some work and get the wires reconnected and things hooked up correctly. Starting with a screwdriver has its issues. ;)

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040
Haha yes i definately understand, ive gotten pics of how people had theirs wired, and it just looked WAY different from mine and the manual doesnt say much. It was started last year so im 99 percent sure its not seized. And both the batteries have been replaced

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #4  
Take a look at jdparts for some info on what parts are involved.
Here is a sample of the 2040 wiring diagram shown that may help get things plugged back in. Maybe get a new ignition switch as it may have been the first thing to go (that or the key was lost :) )

Attachments

• 2040_wiring.JPG
    2040_wiring.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 8,140
Which part # is the ignition switch

I still wouldnt know how the wires go back on correctly

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #8  
I still wouldnt know how the wires go back on correctly
Evidently you didn't pay very close attention to dntfxr's post on another thread of yours on the same issue. The photo he showed only had three(3) wires on the ign switch(AR58126). The hot wire with electricity from battery attaches to terminal "B", the wire that excites solenoid attaches to terminal"S", and remaining wire attaches to terminal "I". Not that difficult.

Yes ive gotten those wires plugged in correctly, and nothing happened? But there was about 8 more wires that I still dont know where they go and havent found any diagrams for them. The were wires for like the spedo, tacho, and probably a few other things. Where are you getting those diagrams from so i can take a look at them myself?

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #10  
Ks, the diagram I posted was from the JD service manual. You can buy one on eBay, great to have just in case. The one up top is from JD parts website.
I'm going to guess that the other wires may have come from the light swtch right above the ignition?
I know you probably have this covered but make sure both shifters are in neutral or else it won't turn over.