790 front axle leak

/ 790 front axle leak #1  

scdawg

I have a 2004 790 4wd with loader. 243hrs. I was bushogging yesterday and noticed gear oil leaking onto right front axle. Everything seems to be working fine otherwise. Could a seal be bad? I've read about gear problems but 4wd seams to be working fine. Any ideas? I'm almost afraid to ask.

/ 790 front axle leak #2  
A picture would be helpful. Kind of a long shot, but any chance the leak is coming from the power steering cylinder and flowing down the shaft onto the right front axle?

/ 790 front axle leak #3  
I have a 2004 790 4wd with loader. 243hrs. I was bushogging yesterday and noticed gear oil leaking onto right front axle. Everything seems to be working fine otherwise. Could a seal be bad? I've read about gear problems but 4wd seams to be working fine. Any ideas? I'm almost afraid to ask.

Probably a seal...that wouldn't disable the 4WD immediately, but would eventually (gears/bearing failures).
I suggest the first thing you should do is read your tractor manual about checking front axle lubricant (make sure you know how it's to be done) and going from there.

And, as Tractor Pilot wrote...try to determine where the oil came from...might not be the axle at all.

/ 790 front axle leak
I appreciate the replies.
I bought this tractor over the summer. I changed the front axle oil right after I bought it. The oil that is leaking smells like the same stuff.
I don't know all the terms for the parts but I'll try to describe where the fluid appears to be coming from.
The hub lugs go through the hub and screw into a green plate. Follow this plate toward the center of the tractor and you see a space where this plate joins the axle housing(?). This appears to be where the fluid is leaking from. The tractor is at my farm ~70 miles from here. I can get pictures next weekend if needed.
Thanks for the help.

/ 790 front axle leak #5  
   / 790 front axle leak #6  
Here is a schematic of the front axle (4WD) for the JD790:

Attachments

• JD790 Front Axle 4WD.gif
    JD790 Front Axle 4WD.gif
    43.9 KB · Views: 4,120
   / 790 front axle leak #7  
   / 790 front axle leak #8  
Did you try the link?
It's for ordering parts...when you register, you select where you want the parts shipped.
BTW, the illustration below may be just one of 2 or 3 and not showing all the detail.

What's with this register stuff ?

I use this part of JD and don't believe registration is required. Am I wrong ?, or is my browser auto signing in ?

Order Manuals and Parts Catalogs from JohnDeere

Seems to be missing a few pieces.

MP6580_________UN01JAN94.gif