3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040

/ 3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040 #1  

myold2040

Tractor
John Deere 2040
Moving the lever does nothing, and my brush hog is 'stuck' in the all the way down position. I have replaced the main filter, and still nothing. I know there is another 'suction' filter on this tractor, but I can't seem to find it's location (google has nothing lol)
I have a local 'tractor guy' who advised my of the issue, but I can never track him down to find out where this otherh filter is, and can't wait any longer to get this fixed. It's been 2 months, and I have lots of work to do with my new box blade (plus I've had the boxblade for 2 months, I'm just DYING to use it lol)
BTW, I know almost less than nothing about this tractor (year, open/closed system etc) it came with the house/land lol

THANKS!

/ 3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040 #2  
Get the serial number off the engine and you can find out all you need about the tractor.
TractorData.com John Deere 2040 tractor information

That's one place to look, there are others. I don't know the 2040 system well enough to advise you on repairs, but you can get a shop manual for the 2040 from Amazon and other sources. I got one on my old 2030 and it really helped explain operations and tell me how to approach problems.

/ 3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040 #3  
The sump screen is located near the hydraulic filter. It is to the rear of the filter, but in the side of the housing instead of the bottom. There should be a plug behind the filter that has a square hole in it. Take a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to loosen and remove the plug. (drain the oil first) With the plug removed, the screen will slide out the side of the transmission case. It is about 8 or 10 inches long.

Are any of the other hydraulics working? Power steering? Rear remotes? The serial number is very important on the 2040. There were some major differences in the hydraulics over the years. They were built from 1976-1982. The first 2 years were open center hydraulics and after that were closed center. There are also different transmission/clutch/pto options that can change transmission pumps and transmission oil flows that can affect hydraulics in general. If the serial number is not available, some pictures of the tractor, hydraulic pump and area under right step can help identify what you have.

/ 3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040
Thanks guys! I found that serial number lookup link earlier today, but haven't had time to look at my tractor.
I"ll check all that tomorrow...
(don't have anything to connect to the rear remotes, so I'm not sure.
The brush hog was just kind of raising/lowering itself slightly for a few days, then just dropped all the way down, and stayed there.
Thanks for the info guys!

/ 3PH "LIFT" not working on my 2040 #5  
Try changing the load/depth control lever to a different setting. The L/D lever is under the seat. The parts schematic will show screen location that jd110 explained although schematic not for the correct model.

Attachments

• RP936__________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP936__________UN01JAN94.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,057