4310 Transmission Oil Heater

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #1  

dmp437

Gold Member
I just picked up a transmission oil heater kit but it came with no instructions, specifically where it attaches to the tractor. There must be a threaded plug somewhere that is removable so the heater can be screwed in. Any pointers? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #2  
Here's a picture from the John Deere parts web site. Since I don't own a 4310, I don't recognize the components the heater screws into...looks like a filter housing of some kind though.
This is probably a dealer installed option and installation would be described in the work shop manual. I'd take a run to the dealer you bought it from and ask to see (maybe even copy) the pages that describe installation.

Attachments

• 555901-MP9524_________UN01JAN94.gif
    555901-MP9524_________UN01JAN94.gif
    5 KB · Views: 467
   / 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #3  
I just did the 50 hour service on my 990 and that looks exactly the same as my hydraulic suction screen and cover. On my tractor it is on the lower right side of the transmission, just ahead of and below the axle. The cover is held on by 2 bolts and has a plug in the center. To service the suction screen you remove the entire cover and just pull the screen out. It appears that to install the heater you will just have to remove the plug in the center of the cover plate and replace it with the heater element. You will have to drain the hydraulic/transmission fluid first, so if you aren't too far away from your next (or first?) service, you might want to wait and do it all at the same time since the service requires removing that same cover to clean the suction screen, and draining and replacing the hydraulic fluid (and filter of course). If you aren't too close to your next service then you should be able to drain and re-use the fluid. Just make sure everything is CLEAN - the area around the drain plugs, the container you use to catch the oil, etc.

Before draining anything, check whether you have enough clearance between the wheel and the side of the transmission to get that long heater element installed. There is lots of room on my 990 (wheels are set wide), but there might be less clearance on a 4310, in which case you might have to remove the wheel.

Good luck.

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #4  
I have both heaters (Block and HST) on my 4600 - the transmission/hydraulic fluid heater does indeed plug inside the HST filter. Although I didn't do the install originally, when I changed my fluid and filter this fall I removed the heater and reinserted it when I was done. It's a pretty simple installation and the reason I had the dealer do it was because (like you) I received no installation instructions when I bought it. Check with your dealer - but I'm sure you'll find it to be pretty easy to install (just make sure you manage the fluid because you'll have to replace/change it at the same time you put it in).

Good luck! if you want I can send post a picture showing the location if you have any issues.

-Bob

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #5  
Attached is a photo of the heater installation on my 4310. Photo is taken from the right side of tractor looking at the left rear tire. If you need more details let me know.

Jeff

Attachments

• 556236-Hydro heater.jpg
    556236-Hydro heater.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 762
   / 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #6  
Mine is a 4300 that came with a heater with a cord about 6inches long.It is centered under the chassis in front of the axle.It seems that the JD engineers have never tried to plug in these heaters during the dead of winter with everything covered with ice. Make sure that you use lots of cable ties and run the cord up to where you can get at it in the dark, when it is cold etc. I ran all my heater cords to one central spot and tied them all together so I just plug in one cord up by the FEL to feed everything .

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater
Thanks for all the replies (and picture /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), I finally got a chance to go lookin' and it's obvious now where it should go. Thank goodness for TBN.

/ 4310 Transmission Oil Heater #8  
I'd suggest getting the block heater to go along with your Transmission Oil heater. The two really do the job in the winter when it's really cold... I wouldn't go without them as they really do save on the wear and tear.

Good luck and I'm glad you got it figured out.

-Bob