Grand L 40s - HST Plus

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #1  

TalonDancer

Gold Member
I've had a little time now (27hrs on the clock) to get familiar with my Grand L3240's HST Plus tranny.

There's lots to like.

In "normal" HST mode...
1 - on fairly level ground it slows, stops and holds the tractor steady by just lifting off the HST pedal.
2 - it's easy to backup a little or go forward a little, by just rocking your right foot.
3- over narrow speed ranges you can use the HST pedal to adjust speed.

The HST plus adds nice conveniences like ...
4- the little Hydo Dual Speed (H-DS) lever on the steering column which makes minor speed / power adjustment instantly (e.g. HST M - high & low).
5- HST Response Control which adjusts how quickly the HST responds to the foot pedal.
6- Stall Guard - that does what is says.
7- Auto H-DS - that does switch to low but only when the engine is bogging down more than I would allow before manually switching :(

Then it gets a bit more esoteric...
8- Auto Throttle Advance - which converts the HST pedal into a pseudo "gas pedal". IMO this potentially killer feature is severely flawed. First - it only works going forward - DUH. But more importantly, it's only useful in conjunction with...
9- Cruise Control - which AFAIK only vaguely resembles cruise control in cars.
a- it does shut off when you press the brake.
b- it will keep the tractor moving forward when you take you foot of the HST pedal. But even when set to full on, the forward motion is pretty slow.

OTOH Cruise Control acts like sort of a manual throttle control when used in conjunction with Auto Throttle Advance - pushing the cruise control lever forward _reduces_ the engine speed needed to achieve a given forward speed. IOW it acts as an infinitely variable gear box that makes Auto Throttle Advance usable. With the Cruise Control lever at its lowest level, when you press on the HST pedal, the engine revs to over 2,000 RPM just to begin moving the tractor. But if you push the Cruise Control lever forward the tractor will begin to move forward at near idle speeds.

In fairness, Kubota describes Auto Throttle Advance in the context of long distance travel ( e.g. hauling a trailer etc.). And it does do that well. BUT it could have been SO MUCH MORE if they had not linked it to Cruise Control and had allowed Auto Throttle Advance to work in reverse as well as forward.

BTW the Kubota website does not even mention Cruise Control in Grand 40 section???

FWIW I have less than 60 total hours of tractor experience (30hrs on a rented L39 GST and 27hrs on my GL3240 HST plus). So is it possible that I just don't get it :) I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Talon Dancer

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #2  
Now I understand that I might well be the odd guy out here but I'm not personally a big fan of the complexity the HST+ features / eHydro features add.

I see this as cost (complexity) vs. benefit. I'm happy to take on the extra complexity of HST because I find that the feature offers so much benefit in return.

I've tried the L3940 but not done any real work on it. The new features seemed neat but to be honest I'd much prefer fewer electronics over them... maybe I just won't appreciate the benefit they offer until I use them for an extended period.

I feel that the complexity will just make me more reliant on dealers to debug problems in the long term and right now I'm really happy with being less reliant on them and either fumbling myself trying to fix something or taking it down to the local repair shop.

Now that said, I am happy to accept the compelxity in my cars. I would not give up the ABS or traction control or GPS that I have become used to. Just don't think I need more electronics than absolutely essential on the tractor.

Just MHO.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #3  
I do like the auto throttle in loader applications. If you turn on auto throttle, stall guard, and auto HDS, you can basicly just drive into a pile and floor the pedal to get alot of push, then back out and go. It is useful in the right application, but clearly not somthing you want on all the time.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
canoetrpr said:
Now I understand that I might well be the odd guy out here but I'm not personally a big fan of the complexity the HST+ features / eHydro features add....
I agree. I'm concerned about the complexity of these HST Plus features and how well they will hold up over time.

FWIW the only parts of the HST Plus that I use all the time are...
"4- the little Hydo Dual Speed (H-DS) lever on the steering column ... and
6- Stall Guard - that does what is says."

Frankly my HST shifter is such a pain that I wonder how I'd get anything done without the Hydro Dual Speed. I'd be spending lots of time fiddling with the clutch, brake, etc. just trying to get the HST shifter into and out of Low. Hopefully this linkage will get "broken in" soon.

The "5- HST Response Control ... and 7 - Auto H-DS... are not really very useful to me. I only use the Auto Throttle Advance (and obligatory Cruise Control) when fetching the mail or taking out the garbage on our 1,000'+ driveway. Walking the drive in the blazing sun (w/ temps in the upper 90s - low 100s) of Central Texas in August could be life threatening. Besides the tractor is almost always already warmed up these days :)

Talon Dancer

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
MessickFarmEqu said:
I do like the auto throttle in loader applications. If you turn on auto throttle, stall guard, and auto HDS, you can basicly just drive into a pile and floor the pedal to get alot of push, then back out and go....
That's how I thought I'd use it. But with the Auto Throttle on, my GL3240 does not even _move_ until the engine gets to nearly 2,000RPM (unless the Cruise Control is forward at least half way). So I wonder just how much "push" I'd get for all that engine effort.

Is that the way its supposed to work? Do you adjust the Cruise Control?

Talon Dancer

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #6  
The auto throttle is not very useful feature if you are just puttering around. But if you are need near full power for say heavy work like box blade or loader work it works good for me .

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #7  
The feature I would really like is the two extra ranges within a range that can be selected without stopping the tractor using the steering mounted lever.

I use LO when I am doing loader work. Would be nice to be able to select the lower level when I actually engage the loader and to select the higher level when I empty the bucket and return to the pile.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #8  
Maybe one or more of you guys with seat time with the new
HST + will go out and try JD's eHydro and compare them. The
eHydro has been around for maybe 7 yr and it has both fans
as detractors. It may have undergone improvements in the
lastest models, too.

I, too, am intrigued by the additional egonomics offered by these
electronically controlled HSTs. Since they have computers now,
I wonder, does each have any diagnostic data access, perhaps
like automotive OBD?

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #9  
I just got a L3940HSTC in May and I find the HST response control is great when mowing rough ground. It reduces the effect of ones foot bouncing up and down on the forward pedal. I also find that sometimes if you want to shift from low range to hit the reverse pedal slightly before trying to shift. Ranger Rick

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
Ranger Rick said:
I just got a L3940HSTC in May and I find the HST response control is great when mowing rough ground. It reduces the effect of ones foot bouncing up and down on the forward pedal. I also find that sometimes if you want to shift from low range to hit the reverse pedal slightly before trying to shift. Ranger Rick
Welcome Ranger Rick!

Thanks for the shifting tip. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

BTW maybe its just my imagination but it seems that if I move the cruise control while in neutral (with the clutch out) I can shift into Low much easier.

Talon Dancer