Front tire removal questions

/ Front tire removal questions #1  

Andrew2019

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Hi guys,

I have a slow leak in my front left tire (Kubota BX2380) and I'm going to get a tube put in.

I have two questions.

The torque on the bolts seems to be 110 lbf-ft to 132 lbf-ft
I'm assuming that's foot lbs? I've never seen it written that way so I thought Id ask to make sure. I have a good torque wrench
and I don't want to over tighten the bolts.

Secondly, I can use the bucket to pick it up initially but where can I put the jack stand safely in the front?

The manual doesn't say where the right spot is.

Andrew

/ Front tire removal questions #2  
Yes, 110 lbf-ft torque is the same as 110 ft-lbf (or 110 footpounds).
The torque is the feet x pounds (ft-lbf) which is the same as the pounds x feet (lbf-ft).

110 foot pounds: Imagine the torque (at the socket) a 1 foot long breaker bar has with 110 pound weight hanging from the end of the handle. Same torque as a 110 foot breaker bar has with 1 pound hanging at the end of it (but not counting the weight of the 110' breaker bar!!). Also 55 lbs x 2ft (55lb at 2 ft) is same torque as 2 lbs x 55ft (2 lbs at 55'), etc...

....but it would sound funny if my electric bill charged me for hours-kilowatts instead of kilowatt-hours..

If you're changing one tire, why not jack under the front axle? If both tires, why not under where front axle pivots...assuming it won't fall off jack.

/ Front tire removal questions
If you're changing one tire, why not jack under the front axle? If both tires, why not under where front axle pivots...assuming it won't fall off jack.

Thanks for the fast reply. The manual says to 'fix the front axle to keep it from pivoting"

They don't mention how to do this so I figured I'd just lift with the bucket as opposed to screwing it up and having it land on me.

AS far as the torque, they give me a range. Is it just that? Or should I aim for 110 ft-lbf?

Andrew

/ Front tire removal questions #4  
When given a torque range I generally calculate the middle number and tighten to that. As far as the pivot, if it's not secure one wheel can move up while the other goes down. I generally just block both sides so neither wheel can come back down until I want it to. That allows me to remove either or even both wheels.

/ Front tire removal questions #5  
There should be enough open space on the axle side that you are working on for a jack stand.
Alternatively throw a tree cutting wedge (plastic) or a wooden wedge into the opposite side.

/ Front tire removal questions #6  
My solution to the hacking issue with a recent flat... front axle flopped around a bit when both tires were on, but not badly.

You can guesstimate the torque reasonably well as mentioned previously. 1' ratchet or breaker bar & apply the rated number of lbs on it. I weigh 210lbs so putting around half my weight on a breaker bar would get things about right. An appropriately sized tween or teen would be about right. Just apply the force smoothly & don't bounce as that will dramatically increase torque applied.

That being said a good torque wrench is worth it. I just roughly put the lug nuts on after the issue below. Got me through the job close enough, then used the torque wrench back at the barn. I was actually pretty close. 20190715_195200.jpg

/ Front tire removal questions #7  
Yes, 110 lbf-ft torque is the same as 110 ft-lbf (or 110 footpounds).
The torque is the feet x pounds (ft-lbf) which is the same as the pounds x feet (lbf-ft).

110 foot pounds: Imagine the torque (at the socket) a 1 foot long breaker bar has with 110 pound weight hanging from the end of the handle. Same torque as a 110 foot breaker bar has with 1 pound hanging at the end of it (but not counting the weight of the 110' breaker bar!!). Also 55 lbs x 2ft (55lb at 2 ft) is same torque as 2 lbs x 55ft (2 lbs at 55'), etc...

....but it would sound funny if my electric bill charged me for hours-kilowatts instead of kilowatt-hours..

Why not just use the loader to lift the entire front end?
Takes mere seconds!
Then....be sure to use jack stands, or wood blocks.

/ Front tire removal questions #8  
I do exactly as fried1765 said. Lift with the loader - lower back down to a jack stand on each side of the front axle.

/ Front tire removal questions #9  
Or let the hub down onto a block of wood. Definitely use the FEL.

/ Front tire removal questions #10  
Use the FEL to pick it up, then slide wood or stands under.

NEVER EVER rely on a FEL to hold up a machine. Let alone a floor jack.

I've seen far too many accidents where people rely on hydraulics and they fail, people get crushed, loose arms/legs, etc.

With that being said, never leave a FEL lifted unattended or work under a lifted loader. I see this at some dealers, which I'm surprised they would even take the liability.