Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal?

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #1  

iptman

Gold Member
Tractor
Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Kioti CX2510
I need to purchase a leaf removal system this year for our 2.5 acres, mostly cleared, surrounded by oaks, maples, and poplars. I also have about 20 trees on my property. I'm looking at either the DR or the cyclone rake. Anyone have any recent experience with either of these machines? Am I missing any other out there that I should be looking at as well?

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #2  
No personal experience with the DR, but we are very happy with our Cyclone Rake. Well built and good support. My mother-in-law bought it for herself when she was about 75 because she didn't like the job the neighborhood teenagers did and decided she could do it better herself. She was right. She used it for 5 or 6 years on a 12 HP MTD/Toro? and gave it to us a few years ago. We used it on a Craftsman LT4500 for 2 years then adapted it to our Kubota G5200 when we sold the Craftsman.

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #3  
I've had a Cyclone Rake for about 5 years. Before buying it I also looked at the DR. I believe both are well built, but the difference for me was the ability to easily disassemble and fold up the CR for storage. The frame with the folded up collector bag is hanging on the wall in my basement now. I just didn't have the storage space to accommodate the DR. I don't think I would buy the CR unless I had a temp controlled storage space to keep it in.

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #4  
I recommend Trac-Vac. You can usually find some available used on Craigslist and Ebay. They are made very well. I'm very pleased with mine. Bought it used. New ones are $2,500.... got mine for $500.00. :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of mine. Works well behind my Toro 270H garden tractor.

Attachments

• image-2947526079.jpg
    image-2947526079.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 2,288
   / Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal?
I've had a Cyclone Rake for about 5 years. Before buying it I also looked at the DR. I believe both are well built, but the difference for me was the ability to easily disassemble and fold up the CR for storage. The frame with the folded up collector bag is hanging on the wall in my basement now. I just didn't have the storage space to accommodate the DR. I don't think I would buy the CR unless I had a temp controlled storage space to keep it in.

So you wouldn't store the CR in an exterior shed/barn? Why not?

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #6  
So you wouldn't store the CR in an exterior shed/barn? Why not?

Because the collector bag is fabric, I would be concerned about the material drawing dampness and accelerating deterioration. Also, rodents could chew holes in the fabric.

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #7  
I just got a Cyclone Rake. I've just put it together and haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on performance, but I'm very impressed with the design, materials and construction. It seems to be a step above most implements. Basically there are several types of machines out there and each has it's advantage. The storage feature of the CR is great but, as mentioned, you won't be storing it outside. The CR and DR have the rigid 2 point attachment so they can't jacknife but they swing out on turns. The Agri-fab and Trac-Vac are trailer types.

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #8  
The Agri-fab and Trac-Vac are trailer types.

Trac-Vac makes both types.... check out their website. Pretty much have something for every application. I prefer the trailer type. Just me. :D

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal?
Picking up a used Cyclone Rake XL for $900 on Sunday. 1 year old new bag as well as the vacuum, discharge chute and dual wheels. It has the older engine (not B&S) though, can't remember the manufacturer.

/ Cyclone Rake or DR Power for leaf removal? #10  
I wouldn't worry about the fabric it is a ballistic nylon. Very tuff stuff. I have had mine 4 years the only thing to get used too is the extra long swing of the attachment on the rear. I put a hitch on my atv so I can use the leaf Vac hose without the mower. I would suggest the dual wheel option as it is very heavy with green grass if you use it that way.