Ferris is2100z or an is700z?

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z?
A potential weakness I found in my due diligence web search was an occasional complaint of suspended Ferris mowers to chew up deck belts. This may be due to misinformation as at least one dealer is telling people online that Ferris claims the throttle should be wide open before engaging the PTO. Page 17 of the Ferris IS2100Z Owner's Manual states:

It is best practice to engage the PTO with the throttle set at the minimum throttle position necessary to engage the deck drive system without stalling the engine.​

I always turn on my decks at idle or as slow of engine speed as I need to prevent stalling in order to save the electric clutch. Even so, the Ferris IS2100Z (and maybe IS700Z) 52" deck takes a 5V (5/8" solid V-belt) that is 162.4" long (Ferris part number 5103927).

There didn't seem to be an exact aftermarket replacement but the following Kevlar 5V 161" belt should fit on. I'll report if it doesn't.

B158K - B-SECTION KEVLAR (K-PLUS) V-BELT

Last edited:
   / Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #13  
I just spent $76 for a deck drive belt mfg by Gates compared to over $100 for Ferris replacement. So far I have had to replace the deck blade every year due to breakage. The Ferris OEM belt lasted 50 hours, generic brand the same 50 hours so no different than OEM belt. I am on my 3rd belt in 3 years with 100 hours on the mower and we will see how well the Gates belt holds up.
I will be interested in how well your mower belt holds up once you get to use the mower. I always start the mower with just enough RPM to successfully start the blades; sometimes it stalls the engine so I keep increasing throttle till it finally starts. It does seem to take a lot of power to start my deck turning compared to my Craftsman 52" mower that will start at lowest idle without stalling

I also got a spare set of mower blades when I purchased my IS700Z that are generic but at about half the cost of OEM blades. I did notice that the Ferris blades are quite a bit thicker than the generic blades sold by my dealer. I rotate them out as one set gets dull. I have seen no difference I how long it take to dull up either blade.

The IS700 only has the 3400 series drive motors, but so far no issues with them and I do run them up and down a lot of hills as my yard mostly had two types of surface-uphill and downhill. I did change the oil and filters at 50 hours (100 hours recommended). They do whine a bit when under heavy load like climbing a steep hill, just like all HST motors.

It would be interesting to compare side by side on the suspension of your mower to the IS700 just to see how much it is smoother, if any. No doubt, the Ferris suspension if a much better ride than any other mower I have used, including tractor type.

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #14  
Note that my deck belt replacement has nothing to do with chewing them up, they just break. I am not sure what causes that. Mower is always stored inside and mower deck is always cleaned after mowing.

Note that my deck belt replacement has nothing to do with chewing them up, they just break. I am not sure what causes that. Mower is always stored inside and mower deck is always cleaned after mowing.

If they break, I suspect it is because the deck height relative to the fixed spindle on the engine is always moving with the suspension.

Anyway, still way too cold to think about running a lawn mower in northern Minnesota.

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #16  
Eric,
I changed the oil in my is2100z yesterday for the first time (I bought it used last week) and notice that a oil sending unit was not plugged in.
I could not find any lose wires. I have the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 26 HP Eng. I was just wondering if your Ferris is the same

A 019 (2).jpg

A 020.jpg

I ordered a Power Chute for my 52" Ferris ICD deck. After a quick talk with Norm, the guy who makes the Power Chutes, I was told my 52" deck takes the 18" chute.

Shop Online

ferristhree.jpg

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #18  
I just spent $76 for a deck drive belt mfg by Gates compared to over $100 for Ferris replacement. So far I have had to replace the deck blade every year due to breakage. The Ferris OEM belt lasted 50 hours, generic brand the same 50 hours so no different than OEM belt. I am on my 3rd belt in 3 years with 100 hours on the mower and we will see how well the Gates belt holds up.
I will be interested in how well your mower belt holds up once you get to use the mower. I always start the mower with just enough RPM to successfully start the blades; sometimes it stalls the engine so I keep increasing throttle till it finally starts. It does seem to take a lot of power to start my deck turning compared to my Craftsman 52" mower that will start at lowest idle without stalling

I also got a spare set of mower blades when I purchased my IS700Z that are generic but at about half the cost of OEM blades. I did notice that the Ferris blades are quite a bit thicker than the generic blades sold by my dealer. I rotate them out as one set gets dull. I have seen no difference I how long it take to dull up either blade.

The IS700 only has the 3400 series drive motors, but so far no issues with them and I do run them up and down a lot of hills as my yard mostly had two types of surface-uphill and downhill. I did change the oil and filters at 50 hours (100 hours recommended). They do whine a bit when under heavy load like climbing a steep hill, just like all HST motors.

It would be interesting to compare side by side on the suspension of your mower to the IS700 just to see how much it is smoother, if any. No doubt, the Ferris suspension if a much better ride than any other mower I have used, including tractor type.

Hey Gary, You dont happen to know what the part number to the gates belt was do you? My 52" IS700z just broke its belt at 10.9 hrs.

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #19  
Well reading this I feel better on my Ferris and its belts. My first one came apart while mowing and was replaced under warranty. My second was squealing when engaged and no idea why but when annual service was done it stopped. Then I also went to very low speed to engage. Not sure the model I have but think it may be heavier than yours, it has a 37 hp Kawaski engine and really know do not push the belts...52 inch deck.

I bought it for the ride also, not back but digestive system issue that shaking upsets. Really a good ride but still have holes to fill in as stumps rot out. My wife used it this past Saturday (had it just over 1 year) and told me it does ride good. One thing I do not like on it compared the Bush Hog ZTR we have is not easy to see the left side of deck when trimming. The Bush Hog is easy to see but the frame on the Ferris helps block the view of the deck for me.

On the dual tanks, if you want to drain the carb for the winter or to help prevent someone using it who should not turn the valve between the tanks and run it dry. Works very well. Not real easy to find if you are not aware where it is either.

/ Ferris is2100z or an is700z? #20  
Look last evening and mine is a 3100 model. When I was buying did not find their model numbers to be true indicator of larger model number larger frame. No idea but seem to be like JD tractors, no rhyme or reason to the model number.