Mitzy D1500ii

/ Mitzy D1500ii #1  

117syp

Tractor
PowerKing/Yanmar/Mitsubishi
As the story goes, I inherited a Mitsubishi D1500ii with tiller. It was running fine when parked approximately 5 years ago and has been kept out of the weather. I know it will need a new battery. I have owned and operated Economy/Power King (gas) tractors, but diesel is a new beast. How do I prime the system? Any hints or instructions for starting it will be greatly appreciated. FWIW, located in Central Florida. Thanks, Vicky.

/ Mitzy D1500ii #2  
Make sure the filter flow is open, crack open the fuelline up to the pump. Many times that is all you need.

Goes without saying, but deserves a mention; drain the old diesel out and bleed in fresh diesel.

/ Mitzy D1500ii
Good start to get me on the road... There is a good chance I have misplaced the key, can (or how should) it be hot wired, or does the switch need to be replaced? Does it have a regular or glow plug(s)? If glow plug(s) is there a spot on the switch sequence that needs to be "activated", for example like an old time choke?

I remember hearing that diesel fuel will grow "algae". I forget if it got thick or clogged lines or something else. By draining the diesel do you mean just the fuel in the lines and fuel filter, or also drain the tank? We also had Yanmars (both 2 and 3 cylinders) that used old peanut oil. It was wonderful to smell the fumes, but I vaguely remember they had to be started with something else and then switched to the peanut oil. I only mention this to try to get straight in my mind how to deal with one tractor at a time.

Don't assume or give me more credit than I deserved...I really know nothing about diesels. Tractors are located two hours away so am trying to gather as much information as I can ahead of time. Thanks again.

/ Mitzy D1500ii #4  
Five years is quite awhile to park. You could try draining the tank at least partially to ensure flow. You may need a manual to learn how to bleed the fuel lines up to the fuel pump. The feed to the pump will be gravity, they don't suck the fuel like a car. You will probably need to turn the fuel on. Older diesels were turned off by shutting off the fuel - frequently with the throttle control. They didn't need electricity to run, you could simply jump the solenoid to start them. Newer ones have a fuel cutoff solenoid. I hope you can find your key. The thing probably does have glow plugs and one of the key positions will be to activate them. That type switch generally goes for about $80. On a ninety degree day glow plugs are probably not needed. They are handy in cooler weather. Good luck with your project.

/ Mitzy D1500ii #5  
When you do try and turn it over and start, have throttle control at full wide open, you want it flowing as much fuel through the injector pump as possible.

/ Mitzy D1500ii #6  
Bleed the injectors per instructions. Lacking instructions there should be a bleed port near the filter. When you have flow there you may find one or two further along the line up toward the pump. Ignition switch should turn CCW to activate glow plugs then CW to start. Since a replacement was $80 I replaced mine with a $10 NAPA automotive ignition switch and added a separate toggle for glow plugs. They're a pretty simple machine. Hotwiring causes no problem but you'll have no alternator or oil light. You can get info and maybe a manual at Valley Power