Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem

/ Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem #1  

Harbruce

Tractor
Ford 1210
I own a 1986 2WD, HST Ford 1210 with 550 hours on it. It runs great and has been well maintained.

While cutting grass with a mid mower in high gear at 1560 rpm's on flat ground, the trans suddenly became stuck in "forward fast." The Hydro pedal moves freely from forward, neutral and reverse but has no effect at all. The tractor cannot go in reverse. Neutral can only be obtained using the High/Neutral/Low shifter.

To go forward (my only direction), I have to clutch, select high gear or low gear, and release the clutch to move forward. Speed is controlled by RPM engine speed. Both high and low gear settings still work fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Hopefully, I won't need to split the tractor to make this repair. After reading numerous threads on HST's, maybe preliminary determinations can be made by removing the inspection cover or the plate underneath the flywheel housing.

I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge, experience, and expertise with me.

Bruce

/ Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem #2  
Bruce, I would look at where the pedals attach to the transmission for a loose/missing bolt. I think your pedal movement is not being connected to the transmission. The transmission is just staying in the last place you put it before the problem occurred. I would look at items 5, 6, 7, and 8 as shown in the attached diagram. If the bolt that holds the arm is loose or missing, I can see where you would experience just the symptoms you described.

Attachments

• nhpvaimg.gif
    nhpvaimg.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,363
   / Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem
Jinman,
Sounds good. That's exactly what happened. I'll check it out when I get home and let you know.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem
Jinman,
If the problem is as you describe, can I fix it without splitting the tractor. Should I take off the top cover?

/ Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem #5  
I think you may find it is necessary to remove some or all of the external pedal mechanism, but nothing internal to the transmission. I don't believe you will have to remove the platform either, but you WILL have to work from the bottom.

Bear in mind that I'm just making an "educated" guess as to the cause. You should get someone to operate the pedals while you watch with a good light to see what is going on where the linkage goes to the transmission. Also, be sure the tractor is not running, of course.

/ Ford 1210 Hydrostatic Trans problem #6  
Bruce, I would look at where the pedals attach to the transmission for a loose/missing bolt. I think your pedal movement is not being connected to the transmission. The transmission is just staying in the last place you put it before the problem occurred. I would look at items 5, 6, 7, and 8 as shown in the attached diagram. If the bolt that holds the arm is loose or missing, I can see where you would experience just the symptoms you described.

Ok...Know this is an Old Post, but then I read it. So I am going to add in here another problem with 1210 hydrostats.

To start with....you have to split tractor to SEE #5 lever, so you can't check #6, to see if nut#7 has worked off the bolt.

Sometimes the pin #13 in that diagram falls out of #12, which allows #57 to spin on #12 shaft. Look at the pedal and look between the pedal and tractor for the pin. If it is Missing, Stand Up and do your BEST Happy Dance, cause its a Good Day. If it is there then on to next step...

Remove the plate #51. Clean out all the Crap that is in that compartment. Now, grab the rod fastened to #11. If that rod moves, then it has slipped out of #9 deep inside of the tractor. You can start crying now, but quickly, it's not a bad job. Just take LOTS of pictures.......

I'm going to do a post on how to split a 1210, to fix that rod. Do a search for "how to split a 1210". that is what I will name it. haven't made it yet.

The photo's will show you the parts.

ford1210 2.jpg This is the rod 10 with end 9, see if it is loose.

ford1210 5.jpg This is the Other end of 10 and 9 fastened to 5, connected to the Hydro(red Pump). 1210's ALL, eventually strip 10 out of 9, then you have to split tractor.

ford1210 4.jpg This is your Drive Rod for the Hydrostat. #10 and #9, 9 is the tie rod. Notice the directions of BOTH tie rods.....their Opposite each other. It wont work if they point to same side.....

Good Luck and Have Fun